Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today at the pet store I saw a girl and her mom walk in, she was about a year older than me. The Petco clerk immediately started talking to them so I headed off to the SW tanks to look at a colony of zoanthids. I overhead the lady telling the girl that bettas can be kept in jars with plants in them, and kept telling them false information like that. The clerk chose a .5 gallon betta keeper and un-nutritious food. It was a good 15 min and she had a DB Tail picked out for her friends birthday. When the clerk walked away, I approached the girl.

Kindly, I said "That is a beautiful fish, but that clerk is just trying to get her pay check and doesn't know correct information about these fish. Bettas should be treated as any other fish with adequate care. They can't live in vases, they're living beings and deserve better. I suggest you get something like a 2 gallon for your friend; your betta will live longer and happier. A betta is a carnivore and needs meaty food. I'm not trying to trash the clerk, just help the sake of a live animal and people with incorrect information. The bettas really seem to grow on you; I have two at home and their happy and healthy."

Thankfully the girl and her mom completely understand and thanked me several times for saving her friends fish. In the end her Mom got two 2 gallon tanks (1 for her friend and her!), two things of Omega1 pellets, and a Beautiful pink DB for her friend (the tail was like a heart) and a almost white marble halfmoon. I explained how the marble would soon grow from plain white, to saphire blue like the patches beginning near the tail and head. I told her a WC schedule, feeding schedule, and tips on what kind of decor to advoid. I also told her they are tropical fish, and like warmer temps, but since we live in FL, we wouldn't need a heater til winter. I then gave her my number to ask me any questions

Overall I felt really good walking out of that store. I know that even I, a 13 year old, can change the coarse of an animals life. Man, do I feel good today!:D

NOTE: sorry for spelling errors/ typos I'm just so happy I got to do this, so I'm kind of hyper-ecstatic-happy mood right now:D!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I feel massively old saying this (I'm only 21, lol), but people like you give me hope for the "youth of today" all over again. Excellent job. :)
+1

Some kids these days have no respect for anything, but reading this gave me a shred of hope that the future generation will not all be completely inept of logic :p

·
Registered
329 Posts
Great

So nice to see you step up to help the animals...... I have done that with people looking at chinchilla's at pet stores before, because I have had them fo r years.....

GOOD JOB... you Should feel good about it..:thankyou:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Aw thanks all you guys!:D I had waved to the girl when she walked in, I think I've seen her around school before. Lol when the clerk had her back to me and said something crazy (ex. they eat once a week) I would literally pull at my hair and the girl would know that something was up. I'm just really happy she was actually willing to learn the correct information! I also recommended her to this site:D

And kids at my school really have no respect... I only have a very small group of friends who are actually genuine, but I can trust all of them. This year our science class is life science, which I already know most about since its marine/fish. My dad is a Charter Fisherman and I grew up on the water basically so its mostly prior knowledge, and so everyone knows me "as the fish girl". I have my own baby snowflake eel at school I take care of, and I get to take home in the summer. The best thing about all this.. I research. Like crazy. But I enjoy it, and I feel like if you want to be in the fishkeeping hobby, you really have to enjoy these beautiful creatures The only bad part is the price, because I'm the only one who really supports my hobby in my family, and I have to purchase everything except for equipment from past aquariums... and OHMYGOODNESS they had beautiful big-eared plakats at Petco today.. Just saying. :) Does anyone know if it causes the bettas any problems with the big pectorals?

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I remember being 13 with a few bettas.... now I'm 15 with hundreds lol!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh my goodness I see it already... Well maybe not on such a large scale xD I've recently gotten into Saltwater, but the Betta Bug becomes fresh as always when I have just a peek at them... Haha my sister is so mad at me because I share a room with her until my brother goes to college, and I have 3 tanks... Wait til I get my own room, good lord :D
I see it already... 10 Gal divided 3 ways, 1.5G, 3.5G.... 29 GALLON:D BAM sorority. :D

In the summer I had my hand at an outdoor spawn, after conditioning them with bloodworms and mosquito larvae. My female is fiesty, and shredded my male's fins... There was no way she was going to get submissive. I feel like that was a blessing in disguise though. It's a big commitment to breed, and I honestly don't think I was ready for it! I had the supplies, but time was an issue.
Still, props to you Mr V for being 15 and breeding successfully! That's seriously awesome!

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I started with one 10 gallon and a few 16 gallon tubs... now... yikes I don't want to even count my tanks lol.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
That's awsome. I never did that with fish but when I overheard a petco employee telling some lady that a chinchilla will die if you ever touch it, I just HAD to correct her. Seeing how I own and breed them and all...But I'm not a kid. I'm 32 :cry:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hahah Mr V it just grows like wildfire! And I know I watched some of your vids on Youtube... Holy cow o.o Lol good job!

Tikibirds, why the sad face after 32? I'm pretty sure half of these people on the forum are older, and I feel like the betta bug is just now starting to effect younger kids/teens/people lol. You tell the Petco employee! Hahah Chinchillas are soo cute! That's awesome you corrected her. Even if she had seemed offended at the moment, it's a piece of information that she'll (hopefully) remember and not tell customers anymore!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I remember being 13 with a few bettas.... now I'm 15 with hundreds lol!
Nice, i am 15 too and now i only have one successful fry.:oops:
:BIGweepy:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Tikibirds, why the sad face after 32? I'm pretty sure half of these people on the forum are older, and I feel like the betta bug is just now starting to effect younger kids/teens/people lol.
I don't like getting old or the invading army of grey hairs.

All the fish we had when I was in high school never did too well so I never was interested when I was a teen. Of course my mother never had the right equipment - were talking 3 goldfish in a 2 gallon tank type of stuff.
I do remember when I was real little she had a 10G with a bunch of tropical fish but they never lasted long. No idea what kinds they were but some were small - tetras I think and one was a big cream colored one and I have NO IDEA what he was.
It's nice to see so many young people on here that have looked into the fish's care whereas many adults do not.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Nice, i am 15 too and now i only have one successful fry.:oops:
:BIGweepy:
I'm 21 and have only had ONE fry come out alive...lol don't feel bad. I'm working on try 4 and getting try 5 whipped into health as a back up

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.