Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new fish today! I was super excited, and made sure to acclimate him correctly and do everything right. He was swimming happily in his tank for a couple of hours, and even ate out of my hand (on the first day!) - that is, until I made a grave mistake.

The fish was flaring at his reflection and bumping against the glass, and I made the idiotic decision of trying to transport it to another area of the tank. One minute of chasing later, the fish is more stressed than it would be if I'd just left it alone, and I feel terrible. Not only is stress unhealthy, but I feel as if I've broken any trust the fish might've had in me and it sucks.

What can I do to prevent stress-related disease while he calms down? And how can I mend our relationship?

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I've had fish stuck in the siphon and come out bloodied and bruised, but by the next day they've forgotten the incident entirely, and will likely have to be swatted away from the siphon the next time I clean the tank.

This incident alone shouldn't cause enough stress to do him any harm. You've probably caused him less stress than a fish being netted out of a tank, and if that was enough to cause a fish serious harm, a lot of fish keepers and fish stores would be in trouble.

Just give him time to settle into his new environment, and let him explore his surroundings on his own terms. It's normal for new fish to bump against the glass, or pace along the sides and front of the tank, and you may find he loses interest in flaring at his reflection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts