Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my betta fish had fin rot i was looking at pictures of when i first got him he looked more full (8 months ago) know his fins are down and they looked like somethings ben eating him but i didnt see any white stuff i wish i can show pics but i cant find my sd card
lives in a 1.5 gallon
i have a heater
no filter
4 apongeton bulbs
moss ball
66% water changes weekley just started twice a week
tempreture 75
eats: tetra betta flakes and bloodworms
so if some one will plz tell me what to do because i whant him to be happy. im 14 and have 2 bucks , and will his fins grow back

·
Registered
296 Posts
Would you mind posting some pics? If there's no sign of fin rot he could have caught them on a sharp decoration or swam into something. Is he acting normally? Does he have clamped fins?

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5
What temperature is your tank?75
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no but i have the supplies
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? nobody

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?tetra flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 66%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?betta safe jungle start right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?yes
When did you start noticing the symptoms?2 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?no
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8 months from the store

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
Does he have black edging to his fins? Are the missing parts U-shaped? If they're U-shaped it's most likely biting. Hope that's it.

Also, I would do two 50% water changes per week instead of one. Ammonia can build up pretty fast in smaller tanks. Nothing wrong with a 1.5; it just needs a little more monitoring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no theres no u shaped or black rim i think he is getting old and his fins just lost coler and shrinled but idk. i just did a 100 percent water change because i saw some fuzzy white stuff on the gravel he's moving around a lot more i changed the setup a little bit. also his gills have a little bit of red tords the end is that normal.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Red gills can be a symptom of ammonia burns. Can you post a picture? As it could just be colouring. Just up the water changes and he should improve. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i cant find it but let me describe he is blue/greenish with yellow and red acents wwn u put a light towards him his gills is mostly black with red tips and his flare is normal

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he is swimming around more I think he is happy i just whant him to get back to his original dark blue color. but i did save him from petsmart his 2 fins by his gills one of them were missing its grown back half way

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to see his fins have regrown. Does any of his fins seem transparent or white/clear? His faded colour is almost certainly stress possibly from water quality issues. The water changes will really help him. Do you think one day you would be able to invest in a small filter? It would really help as it gives a home to the beneficial bacteria and starts the cycling process. But for now with frequent water changes he should be fine. If you're doing a water change on Tuesday you may want to create a schedule for water changes, you could perhaps do one on Tuesday and one or Saturday. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so i had a filter for the tetra one for up to three gallons but it keeps falling apart and my mom wont by any filter pads and i live like 5 minutes from dallas and it has to be quite thats why i took away his air bubbler

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes he is being way more active and i think he is building a bubble nest!!!! I think i got all cout up in the dont do more than a 50% water change thing and i havent done a 100% water change in months and i think because i have a small tank that the water go's out the hose so quick and im not getting it all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.