Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this will be my last post about my little guy. I have done everything I can think of, daily water changes, aquarium salt, melafix. I think it may be a fungal infection that set in after he bit off his tail last weekend... he鈥檚 now missing huge patches of scales and has a large white patch on his side. My Indian almond leaves arrived today so those are in the tank now. I am not able to get pimafix or any other medication because Canada requires a DIN, I have managed to track down a store that has some betta revive so that鈥檚 on its way, but I don鈥檛 think it will get here in time. Not sure if there is anything else I can do at this point. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here is the other info:
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5G
Does it have a filter? Yes a Tidal 35
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One Betta Buffet and Northfin Betta Bits
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets (we had flakes but he wouldn鈥檛 eat them)
Freeze-dried? I have some freeze dried blood worms for treats but he doesn鈥檛 really like them
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? About 5-6 pellets a day? (2-3 pellets AM & PM)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Once a week
What percentage of water did you change?
25-30%
What is the source of your water?
Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuumed substrate. More recently I removed a everything to check for sharp edged I also sanded all of the caves before I got him.

What additives do you use other than conditioner? Nutrafin Cycle, Nutrafin Waste control, Seachem Stress guard

What brand of conditioner?
nutrafin Betta plus

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): 150
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
Ok, this will be my last post about my little guy. I have done everything I can think of, daily water changes, aquarium salt, melafix. I think it may be a fungal infection that set in after he bit off his tail last weekend... he鈥檚 now missing huge patches of scales and has a large white patch on his side. My Indian almond leaves arrived today so those are in the tank now. I am not able to get pimafix or any other medication because Canada requires a DIN, I have managed to track down a store that has some betta revive so that鈥檚 on its way, but I don鈥檛 think it will get here in time. Not sure if there is anything else I can do at this point. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here is the other info:
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5G
Does it have a filter? Yes a Tidal 35
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One Betta Buffet and Northfin Betta Bits
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets (we had flakes but he wouldn鈥檛 eat them)
Freeze-dried? I have some freeze dried blood worms for treats but he doesn鈥檛 really like them
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? About 5-6 pellets a day? (2-3 pellets AM & PM)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Once a week
What percentage of water did you change?
25-30%
What is the source of your water?
Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuumed substrate. More recently I removed a everything to check for sharp edged I also sanded all of the caves before I got him.

What additives do you use other than conditioner? Nutrafin Cycle, Nutrafin Waste control, Seachem Stress guard

What brand of conditioner?
nutrafin Betta plus

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): 150
Alkalinity (KH): 40 View attachment 1030879
He seems to have body rot, Do you have aquarium salt? Keep the water pristine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately poor sky is no longer with us. I did a 10 day treatment with aquarium salt, I changed the water everyday during that time, I also did 4 days of melafix and a 50% water change at the end as well as 3 days of betta revive with water changes. None of it seemed to improve his condition. Because I am in Canada we cannot get any medications for fish here, you can get them through a vet, but none of the vets here will prescribe it because they don鈥檛 do fish (small town rural). He crossed the rainbow bridge last Saturday. 馃槩

Registered
Neptune & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, and Crystal.
unfortunately poor sky is no longer with us. I did a 10 day treatment with aquarium salt, I changed the water everyday during that time, I also did 4 days of melafix and a 50% water change at the end as well as 3 days of betta revive with water changes. None of it seemed to improve his condition. Because I am in Canada we cannot get any medications for fish here, you can get them through a vet, but none of the vets here will prescribe it because they don鈥檛 do fish (small town rural). He crossed the rainbow bridge last Saturday. 馃槩
I am soo sorry for your loss! Your boy is probably swimming in the biggest tank possible with my little boy, Saturn. :'(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am soo sorry for your loss! Your boy is probably swimming in the biggest tank possible with my little boy, Saturn. :'(
Thank you, it has been a really tough week, we had a nice service for him. No more pet store bettas I think. Going to head to a legit fish store. I have joined a local group who have given me some leads on more ethical stores with healthier fish.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I鈥檓 sorry for your loss, I know you tried really hard to help him.
Thank you, it makes me feel like such a failure but I know he was probably a tail biter because he had short fins when we got him and they grew out beautifully until he bit them off. After that, things went downhill really fast. I have to say I hope they change the rules about fish medication.
In happier news I found a great deal on a 10 gallon aquarium so I am building one to look like berk (from how to train your dragon). Once it鈥檚 ready I was going to add a black crown tail for my kiddo鈥 it was a hard week all around. I will post a pic when I finish it!

Registered
Thank you, it makes me feel like such a failure but I know he was probably a tail biter because he had short fins when we got him and they grew out beautifully until he bit them off. After that, things went downhill really fast. I have to say I hope they change the rules about fish medication.
In happier news I found a great deal on a 10 gallon aquarium so I am building one to look like berk (from how to train your dragon). Once it鈥檚 ready I was going to add a black crown tail for my kiddo鈥 it was a hard week all around. I will post a pic when I finish it!
It鈥檚 hard enough to deal with a loss in itself, so please don鈥檛 feel like that! It鈥檚 not your fault and you did all that you that you could to try to save him, and that鈥檚 all what anyone can ask. We are often our own worse criticis, so I understand but you didn鈥檛 fail him.

And I鈥檓 so glad to hear your good news! I can鈥檛 wait to see your new tank and betta once he arrives :) How to train your dragon is awesome! 馃憤

Super Moderator
You can get some medications off of ebay. They take a long time to get here usually and every once and a while they get rejected. I have never been one to use meds much but I have a handful on hand just in case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts