Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks!

That's my fist thread ever in this forum. And it's good news.

I have my little betta, Anderiquei (one reads Under-ree-kay) in a square 2 gallons tank with dolomite and plants (don't know the english name for them).

I have had it for half a month with absolutely no problems. It was very happy and made huge bubble nests. I kept it in my living room, and left the room about 9pm so the fish wouldnt be disturbed by light and TV sound.

Well, one night I had friends at home and we were all chatting and watching TV at the living room. Then I noticed the fish spinning around like crazy, but I didnt care. Next time I saw it, it had bitten off more than half of it's beautiful veil turquoise tail! I was very sad and imediatelly checked the water parameters.

Almost everything OK, only that the water was a little too alcaline. Well, I changed most of the water, but the fish kept spinning and tearing more of its tail. Then I thought it had been disturbed by us and moved it to my bedroom.

Well, the fish kept spinning several times a day for three or four days. I had become used to frustration till I noticed that the table where the tank was had lots of colourful objects. Since the fish wasnt flaring at them, I thought it had nothing to do with it, so I just started distracting it with a mirror.

After days of frustration I finally made the decision to cover 3 of the 4 sides of the tank with paper, to keep it from looking at the colorful objects.

What was my surprise when I noticed that, by doing that and showing it a mirror everyday, it stopped tailbiting! It's been a week since it stopped it and restarted building bubble nests (specially around the floating thermometer I put there when I was checking the water parameters).

So my recipe was basically:
  • Keeping it away from from aggitation and color
  • Distracting it with a mirror everyday
  • Giving it something around which to build the nest (the thermometer)

:D

·
Registered
721 Posts
That is awesome!! Your fish in your icon looks a lot like one of mine. So cute! :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.