Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this whole fish tank hobby and new to the forum.
I have a few friends that have fish and they encouraged me to get a fish tank so I started with a sorority of bettas. I was just wondering if y'all could tell me a little something about my Bettas...

I have only had one for about two weeks. Well last night I got 4 more and did a water change out. Took out all the fish and added the decorations refilled the water added the conditioner and then added all 5 fish back in. Turned off all the lights and gave them all night to get aquanted.. more or less. well in the morning they all seemed okay. But when I got home tonight one of the fish seemed from what I could tell to have her fins nipped and she hides very well. Sometimes it takes me a while to find her. what do I do? Separate the one being nipped, Wait it out? When she is hiding it appears that none of the fish are bugging her so I am really not sure what is happening. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. I have a ten gallon tank and I don't have any real plants in my tank. Thank you. Oh and here is a picture of my tank.
1622866455343303083936141007310.jpg

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hello there,
I recommend reading this thread in regards to keeping a sorority:

I would for sure add a lot more plants (real or silk) and hides. You want to block the line of sight and provide plenty of opportunity for them to get away from each other and catch a break if needed. Some squabbling is normal when establishing a pecking order in the group but it’s good to monitor it. Making sure your water/parameters are in great condition is also very important. Did you cycle your tank yet/currently doing a fish-in-cycle? If not, I’d get on that ASAP to ensure they will stay healthy and happy. Also, I wouldn’t remove all the water when you change their water from now on; it’s actually more stressful for them than doing the change with the fish in the water.

I don’t have a sorority myself so hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along soon with more advice :)

Lastly, welcome to the forums and the exciting world of fish keeping!

·
Registered
365 Posts
There is a thread on here for fish in cycling for a tank. Also for a sorority you have got to have about 75% coverage so they have as Seqathe mentioned. I have a sorority and I had problems like you are having and 2 of my girls died. They will be bullied when the lights are off. I never saw it during the day but when I noticed the distress on my 1 girl that was getting bullied I got her out into a hospital tank but she already had internal damage and didn’t make it. My other girl got dropsy but it wasn’t from being bullied because she was actually the alpha of the tank. My tank was bare kinda like yours. After I loaded it with plants and got 2 more. They are all doing fine. You should have an odd number like you have. I only have 4 right now but I don’t want to upset the apple cart so after my last girl died I’ve been putting off getting another girl. after my alpha girl tied they had to go through pecking order and to decide who will be the alpha. I thought my 20 gallon would be fine since all 4 of my original girls were in the same tank at the fish store. Here are pics of my before and after tank. I got a bare spot where 2 plants have died so I’m going to put 2 silk plants in until i get the plants I ordered today comes in. Oh and I would also darken the water with Indian Almond Leaves For 2 reasons it seems to soothe them and it has antibacterial matter to help them with the fin damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here is the thread Kat50 mentioned about cycling. Not sure if you did it yet, but if not, I’d start on it now to avoid sick fish. I am following it myself with my latest betta and many others are using it also to make sure our fish are safe in their new tank (unless you cycled the tank prior to adding fish).

@Kat50 I love your tank, by the way! I haven’t seen those photos before so thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so here is what I have done today! Based off what y'all have said. I'll include a picture. But I went and got more fake plants and changed probably 75% of the water (maybe more than I should have?) and the added the plants I got. I now have them all floating in the containers they came in in the tank. Hopefully this will allow them to all get aquatinted?.... Should I leave them like this over night or put them all in and hope for the best? Thank you all for your comments.
16229264668327530228419210005887.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
Looks a lot better. I've not had a sorority but I would think it would be better to all all at once with the lights off. The added cover should help a great deal to break lines of sight and chase. You may have to single-tank your injured female if the additional planting doesn't help curb the aggression.

I look at a sorority as any group, pack, herd with a pecking order. There's an Alpha and an Omega. The Alpha is the strongest and does not need to target any of the others as his/her position is established. The Omega is the weakest and in packs for more than than three is generally ignored as it is seen as non-threatening

Then there's the "Beta." Most people aren't even aware there's a Beta and often assume it's the Alpha because it does a lot of chasing or "warning off." The Beta's position is precarious and assure it's retained runs at others to convince them it's killer. So don't assume the chaser is the Alpha or the chased is Omega.

With our horses, everyone thought Red was the leader because he chased the others away from their grain. The true Alpha was Ben who shared his grain. He'd walk up to another horse eating it's grain and both would share. He didn't have anything to prove. :)

PS: I just noted your stand. It is extremely important that the edges be supported. I hate to say this, but it looks that you need to place a board one-inch wider than the tank's edges on the table and center the aquarium on the board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so I had all the fish floating in the tank in there individual containers they came in. Then I let the one that was getting bullied in the tank first. I did this to try and help her establish some dominance if you will. Then I let out three other fish in with her. Two of the fish left her alone one kept chasing and bitting her real bad. So I took the aggressor out and then it was just her and two others. It all seemed fine I until i came home from work and most of her tail was missing. So I took her out and put the last two fish in. So she is in a little mason jar where I will do daily water changes and probably go get some of those almond leaves. Because I've heard those help heal. So now we will see how these 4 get along without a fish to pick on. This is where I am at I will include a pic of the fish that had her fins nipped and stuff
On a side note what is the best way to feed them to make sure they all eat. I am not positive they are all eating I know 2 of them are but I can't tell for the others.

Y'all are super helpful so thank you in advance for all your comments and replies

16231102172197028678568887076601.jpg

·
Registered
365 Posts
I can’t really help much on feeding. With my girls since it is also a community tank I put bug bites in several places for the other fish and that kinda separates the girls and I give them a couple pellets each. Since they also eat the bug bites. If they insist on staying together I put a couple pellets in front of them a little bit away and a couple behind so when my 2 pigs kinda swim after them I add about 3-4 so the more reserved girls get theirs also. I wouldn’t try to put this girl back even when her fins heal because she has now been labeled and they will go after her again. Been there seen it happen first hand and it was awful.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Okay so I had all the fish floating in the tank in there individual containers they came in. Then I let the one that was getting bullied in the tank first. I did this to try and help her establish some dominance if you will. Then I let out three other fish in with her. Two of the fish left her alone one kept chasing and bitting her real bad. So I took the aggressor out and then it was just her and two others. It all seemed fine I until i came home from work and most of her tail was missing. So I took her out and put the last two fish in. So she is in a little mason jar where I will do daily water changes and probably go get some of those almond leaves. Because I've heard those help heal. So now we will see how these 4 get along without a fish to pick on. This is where I am at I will include a pic of the fish that had her fins nipped and stuff
On a side note what is the best way to feed them to make sure they all eat. I am not positive they are all eating I know 2 of them are but I can't tell for the others.

Y'all are super helpful so thank you in advance for all your comments and replies
It is possible that without the one who has been bullied before, they will pick on another. I'd just keep an eye on it.

I have been using a pipette to feed my rescue betta who didn't quite understand how to fish yet, that way the food could be placed right in front of him so he could gobble it up right away. I feed frozen food for this so I am not quite sure if pellets would work since they tend to float and could float back up fairly quick. Perhaps that would work for your girls since you can feed them when they're not close together?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts