Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new fish named Caroline. I used to have another fish named Bubbles who died. Bubbles was in a 1 to 1.5 gallon tank without a filter or heater. There is a really long story as to why she was in such bad conditions.

Anyways, lets get back to the mistake so I was at PetSmart and I decided to look at the bettas. There was this female betta who wasn't the prettiest one there but she was so so active. As soon as I looked at her she came up to me to try and show off. It was adorable, she swam in circles and she was just so energetic. I fell in love with her. I only had the 1.5 gallon fish tank Bubbles was in, I thought it was better than the cup anyway. I also knew that I was getting my grandparents filtered tank that is bigger in a couple weeks.

So I bought her. That's the mistake. Here are the pros and cons of that.
Pros:
Bigger tank than the cup she was in
She is more loved now
It could be better than her ending up with a PetSmart educated kid.
I am getting a more bigger and filtered, heated tank on this weekend

Cons:
She could have ended up with a better home
She is in a small tank
She is in an unheated and un filtered tank

So what do you guys think? (please no hate I know I may have made mistakes)

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
No I don't think you made too big of a mistake.

Listen, this is just a temporary home, you're getting a more ideal home for her soon, just keep the house warm and change her water daily and she should hold out till' when you get her a better tank.

The sad truth is that little to no one adopts female bettas these days due to their lack of tail and sometimes lack of color. It's great that you adopted her and you seem like a very nice person. Just care for her the best you can until you can upgrade her :).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't think you made too big of a mistake.

Listen, this is just a temporary home, you're getting a more ideal home for her soon, just keep the house warm and change her water daily and she should hold out till' when you get her a better tank.

The sad truth is that little to no one adopts female bettas these days due to their lack of tail and sometimes lack of color. It's great that you adopted her and you seem like a very nice person. Just care for her the best you can until you can upgrade her :).
Ok thanks. I should be getting her the new tank this weekend!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I think you did great! You have a temporary home ready for her with the permanent one on the way. The small tank can work as a hospital tank if you get it a heater, too. That way, if you end up getting live plants or snails, you can still treat little Caroline with salt or meds if she needs them!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you did great! You have a temporary home ready for her with the permanent one on the way. The small tank can work as a hospital tank if you get it a heater, too. That way, if you end up getting live plants or snails, you can still treat little Caroline with salt or meds if she needs them!
Ok Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Much better than the cup! And it's true, no many people get female bettas unless they plan to breed them. I think you're doing the right thing. :) Can't wait to see her in her new home!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think many people have done this on this forum. Just keep up with water changes until you can buy a better tank. I would suggest changing every 2-3 days and keep her away from drafty places. You can find some super spunky females sometimes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's hard not to want to buy them all when you know how they are treated at the big box pet stores. I bought 6 females in the last week for a sorority tank. I think the clerks thought we were crazy for immediately putting them inside our coats to warm them up. They do have lots of personality. They all come up and do a happy dance every time I come up to the tank :)

Enjoy her!

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's hard not to want to buy them all when you know how they are treated at the big box pet stores. I bought 6 females in the last week for a sorority tank. I think the clerks thought we were crazy for immediately putting them inside our coats to warm them up. They do have lots of personality. They all come up and do a happy dance every time I come up to the tank :)

Enjoy her!
lol I did the same thing with my Mizuchi, putting him in my coat... The one clerk thought I was nuts but the betta expert saw me and they gave me a free jar of pellets.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts