Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys,

I bought my betta fish, Peaches, in late December 2014. I love him to pieces and he's always seemed generally healthy. In the last 1-2 weeks I've noticed he's changed colour slightly, (gotten darker), from when I originally got him and his fins seem clamped. I've never had a betta before so I'm a little stumped on what to do! Today I went to the pet store and bought a couple medications, Tetra: Lifeguard All-In-One Treatment and Bettafix but I haven't used either yet because I'm not sure if the medications are good, if he's actually sick, and whether or not I can use them in an unfiltered fish bowl. Please help! Here is my extra information and a picture of when I first got him and a picture of what he looks like now.

Housing
What size is your bowl? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your bowl? 74-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
Does your bowl have a filter? No
Does your bowl have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your bowl heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Zoo Med Betta Dial-A-Treat (Bloodworms, Mysis, and Daphnia) and Wardley Betta Food. I feed him zoo med one day (dried worms) and then the Wardley pellets the next day. So alternating between the two.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Either one scoop of worms (using a very small scoop I got with the food) once a day. Or 2-3 pellets once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% water change once a week. But I always add the 2-3 cups of water I take him out with him back into his bowl.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Maybe 80% ?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Betta Plus Water Conditioner. But at the pet store today I bought Nutrafin Aqua Plus because it says it has pure herbal extracts that help lower the stress of the fish, and if Peaches has clamped fins I think that would be helpful for his next water change.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A don't have a testing kit.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are clamped, he also looks a teeny, tiny bit bloated but he may have been like that when I bought him, I didn't really notice. Also he looks darker than when I got him.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't a whole ton, but he darts around a lot.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 1-2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put 1/4 of a Tetra Lifeguard All-In-One treatment pill in his bowl tonight. But I think I'm going to take it out because there is no aeration system.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for 3 months roughly.

This is what he looked like when I got him,
Pink Room Organism Interior design Textile

This is what he looks like now,
Pink Room

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
His fins don't look terrible, but could you get a closer, clear cropped shot of his tail? I want to double check something and I don't want to miss anything.

Otherwise though - the biggest thing I can see is you really aren't doing enough water changes. In a 2.5 unfiltered, the 100% 1x per week is great, but you should be doing a 50% 1-2x per week as well.

Another issue is his bowl is a bit cold. Betta thrive in temperatures between 78-82 degrees, so you're quite a bit below that. I'd get a heater for him when you can - preferably and ADJUSTABLE one. A lot of members have had luck with the 25W Hydor Theo heater.

While not as important as the other issues - lets touch on food as well. Bloodworms are a great treat, but they really don't have much nutrition. Your boy should get pellets as his staple meal - you could add the bloodworms as a treat 1-2x per week. Freeze dried bloodworms are like chocolate to a pellet's full course meal. Even then....your pellet looks to have quite a bit of filler. If you could eventually upgrade him to a better pellet (New Life Spectrum or Omega One betta pellets are good options) I'm sure he'd be appreciative.

I wouldn't medicate unless I see something else in a closer clear picture of his tail. Warmer water and more water changes would be a good start - I'd begin there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greenapp1es!

Thanks Greenapp1es! I feel a lot better knowing he isn't doing too bad. I'll get him that heater and some new food they sound great! Also I'll start doing more water changes. He's even looking a little better today after I turned the heat up in my room last night. And I'll start giving him pellets as his staple meal.

Also here is the best I could do for a close-up picture of his tail. He's moving around a whole lot this morning so it was hard to get a picture of him.
Pink Organism Fish Tail Fish

1 - 3 of 3 Posts