Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to this forum because I'm in need of help.

My betta fish has been sick for a little while now. Started off with a bloated belly, but now it has progressed to whole body. I have done my research and I'm almost positive the result is dropsy. Bloating, not eating, and, unfortunately, pineconing, is now occuring.

Can someone please help me? I've attached pictures.

What can I do? Is it too late?

Thanks,

Morgan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
That is dropsy for sure. Epsom salts and kanaplex are going to be your best shot, but it doesn't look good, unfortunately. It's very hard to come back from dropsy :( So sorry.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
This is copied and pasted from the diseases sticky here. Although, I think this was written a while back, and I see kanaplex (kanamycin) being highly recommended lately. It's a newer medication, but it does good things.

Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.