How many gallons is your tank?
5 gallons

Does it have a filter?
yes

Does it have a heater?
yes

What temperature is your tank?
typically around 76°F

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No?

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No he's a loner

Food:
What food brand do you use?
BettaMin, and Tetra

Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets

Freeze-dried?
He has some freeze dried blood worms, but I use those as a treat.

How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
4-6 pellets a day, three in the morning and three in the evening

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Once a month, or as needed

What percentage of water did you change?
100%

What is the source of your water?
tap, treated with Tetra AquaSafe

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?

What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
Tetra

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

I currently don't have a way to test

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms?
Symptoms are iffy but I noticed suspicious spots yesterday evening

How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Suspicious pale spots on his head and body; Raggedy fins

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
It hasn't really so much; he has some days where he's in a funk but he's always been moody so I dunno if that's a change.

Is your Betta still eating?
Mostly yes. Some days I have him be picky but usually he wolfs his food down. But thr past couple days he's been leaving leftovers.

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
I have not.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No

How long have you owned your Betta?
Almost a year

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
He had raggedy fins when I purchased him at Walmart. I've not really seen them get worse sense and I chalked it up to poor treatment before purchasing.

I only really noticed these spots on Alfredo last night and Googled them and found out about Ich; I asked my mom what she saw before telling her what I thought and she thought they looked like white spots so I dunno that it's just his colouring.

As for his fins they've looked pretty much the same since I bought him, but I have wondered about them. Any help is appreciated.

20200430_020840.jpg
20200430_021137.jpg
20200430_021146.jpg
20200430_021240.jpg
20200430_021212.jpg
20200430_021252.jpg

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That does not look like Ich to me- Ich would look like raised white spots, like grains of salt. The spots on your betta are flat, and not truly white.

The spots look slightly fuzzy to me. This can mean a fungus or bacterial infection. It can also mean a minor problem with the betta's natural slime-coat, which can turn cloudy when damaged or fighting off an infection.

His fins are probably ragged from a combination of rough decor (it looks like the plants in his tank are plastic; you'll want to run a piece of pantyhose over them to see if any of them are rough/sharp enough to snag his fins) and general stress weakening his ability to heal. Encouraging them to heal is going to be the same as my other treatment advice for you.

I'm not sure when your last water change was, so I would change 50% of the water today- but not all at once. Take out 25% and replace it, wait an hour or two, then repeat with a second 25%. Doing a water change in stages like this will be easier on your betta than changing it all at once.

Then you can decide if you want to/are able to get medicine. Personally, this potential infection looks small so I would be conservative in treatment. You can add in 1/2 teaspoon of Aquarium salt (Not regular table salt) per gallon- in your tank, that would be 2.5 tsp total. AQ salt is a mild way of fighting off external infections, and will encourage him to shed his slime coat and generate a new one. This might be all he needs.

If the spots are still there in a day or two, or if they get worse- larger, fuzzier, or spread to more places- then you would want to switch to an antibiotic or antifungal. Right now I am not sure which would be more appropriate in your case, you would need to report back with an update on his condition and a new picture or two so we can figure out what the infection is.

In general, you need to be doing water changes more frequently than once a month, and in a smaller amount than 100%. Once a week 25% would be perfect for a tank your size. Large water changes are stressful on the betta, and infrequent water changes allow anything bad to stay in the water for a long time, stressing and weakening your betta.

If you have been replacing the filter's cartridge when you clean the tank, you need to stop doing that. The cartridge/pad/media is where most of the Beneficial Bacteria that create your tank's cycle live, and throwing away the cartridge throws away all those BB. Instead, just rinse it out every couple of weeks using old tank water- not water fresh from the tap- and only replace it when it's literally falling apart.

Also, if your heater is adjustable I would bump the temperature up a little. 76*F is on the low side of preferred temperatures for bettas, I like to keep mine as close to 78* as I can. If your heater is not adjustable but is pre-set, then it's fine. Just make sure the temperature stays steady instead of rising and falling more than about three degrees over the course of the day, because that would mean the heater isn't strong enough for your tank and needs to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts