Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common for Betta fish to go blind in their old age?

Coco's eyes have completely blacked over and he has SUCH a hard time finding his food.... :( Im afraid he will starve.

What do I do????????????????

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't know if its common but it can be caused by sickness..
How old is he?
Finger feed him for now, I did that when a baby betta I rescued was blind..
Make him bump into the finger with the part where the food is, he will learn fast.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, really; if the fish is old, it's not too uncommon. I've had one or two blind ones.

He won't starve XD healthy bettas can go weeks without food. Just keep feeding him as you would regularly, removing the pellets that sink to the bottom. Eventually he'll get get used to his lack of sight and start to discover it easier to find food.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Using a smellier food can help. I have one that has trouble aiming for his food, but when I started using NLS he grabbed it accurately every time. :) The smell tells them that there's something yummy and where it is.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can post pics tonight - I had thought something was wrong with him last week as he was not acting himself... I noticed the eyes last night when I was feeding him.

Hes perked up since then so acting normal but pretty sure hes blind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.