Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was trying to get my male half-moon betta out of his tank to clean it. I was finding this very difficult because he could swim so fast! I decided to give up and wait until tomorrow, so I put his tank back. Then, I noticed he had a dull red line on the side of his body that was not there before. Is this an injury? Did I accidentally hit him with the fish net and hurt him? How can I help him? I'll post a picture soon. Please help!!! :( :(

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Today I was trying to get my male half-moon betta out of his tank to clean it. I was finding this very difficult because he could swim so fast! I decided to give up and wait until tomorrow, so I put his tank back. Then, I noticed he had a dull red line on the side of his body that was not there before. Is this an injury? Did I accidentally hit him with the fish net and hurt him? How can I help him? I'll post a picture soon. Please help!!! :( :(
no worries, you did not hurt him, that is a stress stripe from the move. once you get a good picture I will know 100% that he is just showing signs of stress. ^^

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sorry the image is so blurry, I couldn't get the camera to focus. Tell me if you can't tell where the line is.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoa, the image is huge!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Is it that red slash? seems like he might have gotten scratched on something. I would just keep his water clean. I use stress coat for a healing aid, or if you can get some Indian almond leaves, that will help him out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's that red slash.
Should I try again cleaning his tank today? Or would that just stress him out?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
when was the last time you cleaned his tank?

What I would do is get a cup and scoop him out when you put his food in. How I scoop my fish out when they are sick is I place the cup in the water and wait for them to go in it (they get curios) and lift the cup up. that way they don't get too stressed while you are chasing them around the tank.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! :)
I cleaned his tank a week ago today.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I would clean his tank now. how large his is tank?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a one gallon tank.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
ok. first with a one gallon tank you need to be doing DAILY 100% water changes.

This is why it is NOT recommended that bettas be kept in any tank smaller than 2.5 gallons.

The ammonia in your tank is slowly poisoning your fish.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Ah, I see. What I did when I had a 1 gallon tank was clean twice weekly one 50% water changed and one 100% that way the Ammonia will not get out of control and wont burn your betta. Or if it is too stressful for the fish do two 50% water changes a week and 100% the next.

I hope this helps. ^^

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My little dude does NOT like his water changes! But I finally did get his tank cleaned and I see no change in his behavior. So his little injury must not be bothering him too much. I think he may have gotten scratched on his plant, so I cut the ends off of the more sharper leaves. I'm also researching a bigger tank for him to live in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.