Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this white bulbous thing on Tuna Bob's pelvic fin during one of his daily flashlight inspections and I've searched this site and googled others and I think this is Lymphocystis. What does everyone else think?

He is acting normal in every other respect and from what I've read, the plan of attack is super clean water, low stress levels, good nutrition, and just wait it out.

Do I need to move him to a QT tank? He's alone in a 5 gallon cycled tank. He's a pretty active, well adjusted guy and doesn't seem to be easily stressed but I'm afraid moving him to a smaller unfamiliar tank might stress him. Not to mention cupping him for water changes....I haven't caught or cupped him since I got him.

If I leave him in his tank, do I need to strip it down and thoroughly scrub everything or just bump up the water changes? Like I said, the tank is cycled and I don't want to screw that up if I can avoid it. I've been doing a 50-70% change once a week (or 6 days or so, but never longer than a week). Should I be doing two 50% changes a week or do I need to throw in a 100% change as well?

Should I add AQ salt just for good measure? It's like chicken soup for fish, right? :lol:

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, actually, it is cycled. But, thanks? :?

Not sure I agree with the salt thing....I'd like to get others opinions as well as whether or not this does indeed look like lymphocystis and whether my water change schedule during recovery is on course.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't look like a cauliflower - more like a smooth, white, teardrop. Hasn't changed in size or appearance so far.

I understand what you are saying about the AQ salt - kind of like antibiotics, use unnecessarily and they won't work when you need them. Sounds like they don't really offer a benefit in this instance so I'll skip that.

Glad I don't have to take him out of his tank - he's very opinionated and really likes patrolling his tank and I just don't think he'd appreciate being moved. I'll just add a mid-week small water change - he'll probably like that since he thinks the water being poured into the tank is some sort of amusement ride. :)

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.