Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my new 37 gallon tank. I want to put a community it with preferably a sorority. Ive been doing alot of research and im going to aak for advise from my local Preuss Pets.

I decorated it to look cool but now im starting think the decor is lacking in thickness. Anyone have any advice?

Attachments

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,957 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I cannot tell you from experience but I do have several friends who've had successful sororities (as in for years without other than natural deaths). Their biggest advice is 75% planting to break up lines of sight and chase and "hides" are not as important as plants.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
299 Posts
Hey! I agree with Russel-it looks great for a community but not much a sorority. You NEED lots of plant coverage
( floaters, big plants, small plants, hides etc.) or it will not work out. That also looks like quite a bit of surface agitation which can stress a betta out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi! Just like RussellTheShihTzu and KekeTheBettaDoc said, it would be better as a community tank. Also, the fake plants are plastic so those could really damage a betta's fins if you aren't watching them carefully. I don't know if you will be getting a betta for this tank, if you are, please watch it carefully!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im looking to stock something like this:

5 female betta
8 Harlequin Rasbora
8 Ember Tetra
1 Pleco

Is this alright? Will the schools be okay with more plants?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or would it be better to move my sorority to my 10 gallon and just get a different centerpiece fish for my 37

·
Registered
204 Posts
Or would it be better to move my sorority to my 10 gallon and just get a different centerpiece fish for my 37
5 female bettas in a 10 gallon tank would not work.

Im looking to stock something like this:

5 female betta
8 Harlequin Rasbora
8 Ember Tetra
1 Pleco

Is this alright? Will the schools be okay with more plants?
As for the pleco, I'm assuming a bristlenose pleco, they grow pretty huge so you would end up needing a 50-100 gallon tank for it. I'm not completely sure about the tetras and rasboras.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,957 Posts
Maximum sorority number in a 10 is five. If the update is for a sorority there still aren't enough plants. As I said, 75% (live/silk or plastic); decor/hides do not break up lines of sight and chase. This is what you need:
HeavilyPlantedTank1.jpg HeavilyPlantedTank2.jpg

This plant is soft plastic. I experimented with it in a Betta tank. It is Marineland.
Bamboo.jpg Bamboo2.JPG

According to species profiles, adult Bristlenose require a minimum footprint that is 30 x 12; a 20 long aquarium.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts