Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So my husband and I bought our daughters betta fist a 10g tank recently and needed a new heater so we picked up an adjustable heater - was between 10-20$ i dont really remember... Anyways I am having the HARDEST time keeping it at the same darn temp!!!! Is there a Trick or something to keeping it at the same temp?
It goes from like 78 down to 65 then i adjust it and it goes to 80 and then I get home from work and it was like 85 or something like that.... I have it sitting right now at roughly 77-79... My consern is that I am heading to France in about a week... I have someone coming here to feed them everyday but I am worried that if the temp does drop she wont notice or know how to fix it .... (also worried about the constant temp change for this poor old man fish, who I assume is about 2 years old, we have had him for a year.)

Any tips would be MUCH MUCH helpful and appreciated!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
What brand is it?? I got mine at PetSmart (whatever their brand is) for 20$. It's a 25watt adjustable. It's in the kitchen window which has a slight draft and is able to keep my tank at a steady temp.
What is the wattage of the heater? For a 10g you might want to go above the suggested heater wattage (is it 50W per 10g?) so it doesn't have to work as hard.

It could be there's some malfunctioning hardware in the heater. I would return it and try another. If you have the same problem perhaps go up in wattage.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a hagen elite heater... Im not 100% sure of the wattage...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If Im not mistaken when we bought it it had 10-15g on it.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Sometimes heaters are rated by the companies as being for bigger tanks than they can actually cope with. You won't know for sure unless you can find out the wattage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts