Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Now, just a word beforehand tea isn't beneficial to all Bettas, some react nicely and some react to tea in a bad way.

IALs are Indian Almond Leaves, they're dried up and look like this! It's pretty hard to get hands on these.

Since a lot of us cannot get our hands on IALs, some people use green tea, and other types of tea. Make sure the tea is just simply tea no other additives and that it's caffeine free. The ingredients list on the tea should just ex. "green tea".

I would check the Roobios Teas before buying it, I prefer Stash though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now, just a word beforehand tea isn't beneficial to all Bettas, some react nicely and some react to tea in a bad way.

IALs are Indian Almond Leaves, they're dried up and look like this! It's pretty hard to get hands on these.

Since a lot of us cannot get our hands on IALs, some people use green tea, and other types of tea. Make sure the tea is just simply tea no other additives and that it's caffeine free. The ingredients list on the tea should just ex. "green tea".

I would check the Roobios Teas before buying it, I prefer Stash though.
i know almond leaves are just leaves but would some kind of extract work as well? like the bettaspa link up there? and i didnt know bettas could react badly to tea... can i test them in some way to see how theyll react to it before putting it in the tank? also how much/how long do i put it in there? do i have to change the water more often? less often?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
IAL's are incredibly EASY to get! All you need is paypal and an ebay account. I live as east as you can get in Canada and I can get them shipped from Malaysia. I swear by these. I never run out :) I buy them cheap off aquaticmagic on ebay :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i know almond leaves are just leaves but would some kind of extract work as well? like the bettaspa link up there? and i didnt know bettas could react badly to tea... can i test them in some way to see how theyll react to it before putting it in the tank? also how much/how long do i put it in there? do i have to change the water more often? less often?
With tea, depends on how big your tank is.

And it'll make your water look murky/dirty, but that's just the tea. Just go on with your routine water changes.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
If you can't get IAL (which you should be able to if you can shop online), look for oak leaves. :) They are closer to IAL than tea.

Most blackwater extracts just darken the water...I don't know if it will have the same benefits as IAL...

·
Registered
490 Posts

This is what it looks like. That's Shadrach (from my avatar) with his second spawn. The leaf is still floating (he makes good nests!) after being in the water for 6+ days. I haven't removed or added water, so the color is the natural stain produced by the tannins. These fry seem slightly more active than the first batch I spawned in a 10gal tank with no IAL, but they're still only 4 days hatched, so I won't know for sure for several weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IAL's are incredibly EASY to get! All you need is paypal and an ebay account. I live as east as you can get in Canada and I can get them shipped from Malaysia. I swear by these. I never run out :) I buy them cheap off aquaticmagic on ebay :)

You have to be careful with aquaticmagic though. They ship illegally and the buyer is responsible if customs inspects the shipment. I got a threatening customs warning the last time I ordered from them.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Where do you live emily, look for a tea shop near you that sells looseleaf teas. Give them a call and ask if thy have pure rooibos tea. I wouldnt trust twinnings not to put other stuff in with their tea, just saying. Im using rooibos procured from my local lose leaf tea shop ( a lovely old antique looking tea shop in nyc by the name of mcnulties - worth the visit!) it came to about $5 for 1/4 lb.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
You have to be careful with aquaticmagic though. They ship illegally and the buyer is responsible if customs inspects the shipment. I got a threatening customs warning the last time I ordered from them.
:shock: SAY WHAAAAT!???!!

Had no idea! I ordered successfully twice from them. Second time the envelope was torn open and Canada Post had it wrapped in a plastic bag claiming they received it like that. Both times it took like 4 weeks to get here. Maybe that's why. Cutting corners. Shame on them! wow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I get IAL from Amy Lin too, and they are great, never moldy, always in good condition. She sent me more than what I paid for too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I personally have had no problems with Twinings Organic/Fair Trade Rooibos tea. The only ingredient is Rooibos.

I tried this first because I wanted to see if I liked the look of the water and if it made any difference for my boys. I may order some IAL from Any on eBay and occasionally switch things up.

I've found that I like the tinting of the water (it looks like the pic Styggian posted) and my one betta boy who freaked out when I would turn on his tank light no longer gets frantic when his light is turned on.

When changing the tank water I inevitably get some on my hands and I think it feels... silky or slippery? It definitely is different than normal tank water.

Both of my boys who have this in their tank are alert, look healthy, eat well, and on one boy who had scraped his side that injury cleared up quickly.

These are just my personal observations. Do some research on this tea and it's long time use in fish care is S. Africa before dismissing it completely.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I managed to get ahold of some rooibas tea yesterday - they were selling 100% pure at the pharmacy as a health supplement.

It really has made a massive difference.

So far, while my male has been making bubble nests at night when all the lights are out, he paces during the day. He swims back and forth against the back of the aquarium, looping around the heater and occasionally panicking and flaring at his reflection. It was almost impossible to feed him because he wouldn't even notice me unless I shoved my finger into the tank in front of him. (And that didn't exactly tempt him to eat.) I figured it would get better as he became more accustomed to his new home.

So... Yesterday, after I got the tea, I dropped a bag into his tank. I left it in until I went to bed.

This morning his nightly bubble nest is a bit smaller, but he isn't pacing. He responded when I approached the tank, followed my finger above the water and happily ate. He seems to be comfortable resting anywhere in the tank now (before I only saw him rest hiding back below the heater.) He just seems to be a lot calmer and happier.

The female seemed scared of the tea bag at first and avoided the creeping darkening of the water... But she was also fine and happy today. She has always been relaxed and friendly though, so no big change in her behavior.

I am convinced that the tea is good.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

Had no idea! I ordered successfully twice from them. Second time the envelope was torn open and Canada Post had it wrapped in a plastic bag claiming they received it like that. Both times it took like 4 weeks to get here. Maybe that's why. Cutting corners. Shame on them! wow.
Ugh why did I not hear about this before?
I think warm climates have more customs for things like aquarium plants and fish, since these things probably wouldn't thrive in Canada. Hahahah. I hope my order doesn't take 4 weeks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I managed to get ahold of some rooibas tea yesterday - they were selling 100% pure at the pharmacy as a health supplement.

It really has made a massive difference.

So far, while my male has been making bubble nests at night when all the lights are out, he paces during the day. He swims back and forth against the back of the aquarium, looping around the heater and occasionally panicking and flaring at his reflection. It was almost impossible to feed him because he wouldn't even notice me unless I shoved my finger into the tank in front of him. (And that didn't exactly tempt him to eat.) I figured it would get better as he became more accustomed to his new home.

So... Yesterday, after I got the tea, I dropped a bag into his tank. I left it in until I went to bed.

This morning his nightly bubble nest is a bit smaller, but he isn't pacing. He responded when I approached the tank, followed my finger above the water and happily ate. He seems to be comfortable resting anywhere in the tank now (before I only saw him rest hiding back below the heater.) He just seems to be a lot calmer and happier.

The female seemed scared of the tea bag at first and avoided the creeping darkening of the water... But she was also fine and happy today. She has always been relaxed and friendly though, so no big change in her behavior.

I am convinced that the tea is good.
I'm glad you've had such a positive response. :greenyay:

It is possible that your boy's bubble nest is ticker than it used to be? I never had a bubble nest until after adding the Rooibos. (Pronounced Roy-Boss according to one of the sites where I did my research)

After adding the Rooibos I got my first bubble nest and it was super thick! He maintained it for several days.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm glad you've had such a positive response. :greenyay:

It is possible that your boy's bubble nest is ticker than it used to be? I never had a bubble nest until after adding the Rooibos. (Pronounced Roy-Boss according to one of the sites where I did my research)

After adding the Rooibos I got my first bubble nest and it was super thick! He maintained it for several days.
Nope, the nest is definitely much smaller. It is a pretty pathetic attempt at a nest compared to his others. :lol: I think that it is a combination of the leaf he was using for anchoring it sinking, and that he is actually exploring the tank now. Before he would pace and then stay in one corner all night (where he would blow the nest) - last night, he actually checked out the little cave and tunnel thing I have in there for him... So I think he was too busy to do a decent nest.

Oops on the spelling - for me here it is just written phonetically so I had no clue about the English spelling. I copied it straight from the title. :lol:

I am really happy with the effects and will probably put another bag in after the next big water change. It is clear that he feels a lot safer with the darker water. He is so much less jumpy and is actually swimming around the tank instead of pacing back and forth.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I am not sure about Canada but I know here in the US it is illegal for them to ship them in without the correct permits. They label the envelopes "Household Goods" or even "Soft Toys" to try to slip past customs. Sometimes they get through and other times the plants are destroyed with a threat sent to the buyer. It can result in serious fines.

They have excellent prices on the plants and they are great about refunds if your plants are confiscated or DoA but I don't like the intentional incorrect labeling to smuggle them in illegally.

*Edit* I just looked and Canda requires a phytosanitary certificate AND and plant protection import permit. If caught without the necessary documents, you can be charged with a $1300.00 fine and the seller gets off without having to pay anything.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts