Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so firstly, i know im making ALOT of posts... but this forum seems more promising and reliable than youtube so yeah hah

Ive bought everything a betta needs:
a heater, a thermometer, stress coat, water conditioning, and AQ salts(which i bought when i first got him)
(please comment on anything else he might need)

ive done a 100% waterchange, and i rinsed the sand again. while he was looking much more lively and energic than when i had almost nothing, i let him stay for 2 days because i was going to sleep over at a friends house. When i came home, i looked at my betta who was swimming around, still itching and rubbing and darting, i noticed that his whole tailand some parts of his fins, had white grains "salt" on them. what do i do?? hes scratching his butt off, and the ich seems to be spreading :|:-(

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Can you get some pictures?

The best thing to do is to get an adjustable heater and bump that heat right up to 86-88, it's the least stressful thing to do to treat for Ich. The high heat kills off Ich in it's free swimming form and then you can do water changes to take out the dead parasites. What size is his tank?

Reactions: Agent13

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive tried with heat, and i have a heater. I set it to 26-30 celsius(with a thermometer) but i was getting desperate so ive run to the pet shop and bought an ich med called "punktol". he is now in a quarantine tank on about 1.32 gallons. i read the instructions very closely and so i will leave him there for about 15 days, feeding him on every 4th day, doing a 50% waterchange every 2nd day and replacing the medicine after every waterchange. do you have any tips? and i would get a picture, but its really hard to get a good one :(
also, should i let the main tank run while doing a gravel vacuum every day? i removed all the substrate and there is no other fish in it.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Ich will die off with no fish in the tank .. Leave it running and only worry about 1 water change on the main tank in a few days . No need to remove the substrate .

The heat method wouldn't have ever worked if the water went below 30c at any point .. That would be why it didn't work . It MUST be at 86f for 2 full weeks with out dropping to less .. 88f for the resistant strains . But you've picked the medication route so commit to it. Good luck ! :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ich will die off with no fish in the tank .. Leave it running and only worry about 1 water change on the main tank in a few days . No need to remove the substrate .

The heat method wouldn't have ever worked if the water went below 30c at any point .. That would be why it didn't work . It MUST be at 86f for 2 full weeks with out dropping to less .. 88f for the resistant strains . But you've picked the medication route so commit to it. Good luck ! :)

Thank you! :) i read that the ich hid and thrive in substrate, so just to be extra cautious, i removed it and put it in a bucket of hot water x) do you have any tips and advice on how to treat the main tank for a possible infestation?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
All the ich will die without a host with 5-7days max so after your 14 day treatment in the other tank your main tank will have taken care of itself . No more ich :) .. But if you'd like there's no harm in a waterchange in the main tank after about 3days to remove dead ich . Last I heard there is no zombie ich so once it's dead .. It's dead ;-) lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the ich will die without a host with 5-7days max so after your 14 day treatment in the other tank your main tank will have taken care of itself . No more ich :) .. But if you'd like there's no harm in a waterchange in the main tank after about 3days to remove dead ich . Last I heard there is no zombie ich so once it's dead .. It's dead ;-) lol

Haha! Lets hope! ;-) this brought a smile to my face, im much less worried about him now! Even though i know that the danger isnt over just yet!

Im really sorry for all the questions, but, would you know how long it would take him to regrow his stubby tail(not tail rot) and regain his color? x) i bought him sick and in a bad condition in hope to give him a better home, but his colors(he is pale and yellowish with pieces of coloured scales on some parts, but the yellow is not his original color) hasnt gotten any stronger, probably because of the ich. His tail too has no color and is stubby and scruffy and so i cant identify whether he is a veiltail or a crowntail, but i think he is a veiltail because (sadly) they only sell veiltails in my area
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts