Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a week and a half ago my betta started showing symptoms of ich. His eyes were very cloudy, he was very lethargic, rubbing against decor, and I noticed at least one white spot on him. I assumed it was ich and have been treating it as such for a week and a half. I have been dosing with a mild amount of aquarium salt (1 tbls per 5 gallons) in my 10 gallon heated and filtered tank. I also have been treating with Kordon Rid Ich Plus and following the instructions. It recommends 1 tsp per ten gallons every 24 hours and a 25% water change before each dose. Whenever I changed the water I add 25% of aquarium salt back. I also gradually turned up his heater to 82 F to hopefully speed up the parasite’s lifecycle. He is completely back to his normal self, no white spots, no rubbing on decor, and eyes have thankfully cleared up. However, his head has been twitching occasionally. When I take out his mirror to let him flare he twitches and spins around the tank. Eventually coming back to normal, swimming around happily. It’s so strange and breaks my heart. Could this mean that he still has the ich parasites in his gills? Today marks the 11th day of ich treatment. I debated pushing it to a full two weeks because of this. Or could it be a sign that it’s gill flukes or even neurological damage? I’m not really sure what to do at this point so any advice is welcomed. If he still twitches after the ich treatment is over should I treat for Gill flukes? I thought about trying api general cure. My tank parameters are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and less than 5ppm nitrates. I just really want my little guy to get better

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 82 F for treatment (normally 78 F)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes now that the heat is higher and I’ve been medicating the tank
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? North fin betta bits
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No but I feed frozen mysid as well
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed him twice a day, 3 pellets per feeding. And I fast him once a week. A couple times a week I will switch the pellets out with frozen mysid shrimp

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 15%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I vacuum the substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I use API stress coat, API stress zyme, and seachem stability

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: <5 ppm
pH: 7.4
Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A week and a half ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He initially had cloudy eyes and a single white spot but that has gone away after medicating
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He was lethargic and skittish but is normal now. He occasionally twitches his head
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I have added Kordon Rid Ich plus for the past week and a half. I have also dosed with aquarium salt (1 tbls per 5 gallons).
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? He has a few tears in his fins I’m assuming from being bit by other fish at the pet store
How long have you owned your Betta? About 2 months I think
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sure I don’t have a picture of when his eyes were cloudy or of the white spot I saw. Here’s a recent picture of him. What do you think it could be? The Ich medicine cleared up a lot of his symptoms so I thought that could be it. I’m so new to treating fish though and have been trying to do as much research as I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to stop treating for ich today and will observe him over the next couple days. I may end up dosing with API general cure to rule out any other parasites. Will update in comments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I ended up not having to use the API general cure. After stopping the ICH treatment the twitching has decreased dramatically. I’m assuming it was stress related. He had a few injuries on his head from twitching and hitting decor in the tank when he used to flare. Those have almost completely healed up and he is gradually starting to flare normally again. I think my guy is finally on the mend!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts