Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, so I'm kind of mind blown right now. I have a ten gallon aquarium with three platies and a stunted female betta. On Thursday of last week I mad the horrible decision to just put the platies in, because lol I haven't needed quarantine yet. Ich outbreak. Treated entire tank with salt and heat and I'm currently on day five of treatment, all day there was no sign of ich, until now. My "patient zero" platy has ich cysts once again, as does the betta, but the tank is at roughly 90 degrees. So I'm lost as to what to do momentarily. If I'm not mistake the ich should have all died out or at least been unable to reproduce. Only meds I have is Nox-ich, but I'm extremely hesitant to use. So am I wrong and just panicking over a regular occurrence when treating ich with heat or should I consider the meds?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? Currently 89 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 Platies

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Brine Shrimp Cubes, NLS, Oceans
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, occasional salt and stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10, been doing WCs since Saturday.
pH: 7.4

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White spots, ich
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Glass surfing, sometimes itching
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Saturday, outbreak hit the Betta Duckie and a new Platy at the same time
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 2x Week GV, Heat, 25 Percent WC, Salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought as Baby from Petco, had since February 20th. So At least 8 months.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yes, there is a strain that is heat resistant and you probably have it. You can continue with the salt at 1 tsp/gal and/or use an Ich medication like Malachite Green (though it stains so best to treat in a separate tank and let the parasites die in the regular tank) or Kordon Rid-Ich, or any other of the medications you'd find. Just don't use MelaFix/BettaFix, they won't work for Ich.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciated, think I am going to try the salt for maybe a few more days. If that fails then it's time for the Nox-Ich, which is basically just malachite. Thanks!

·
Banned
688 Posts
once an ich parasite has attached itself to a fish, no medication will work on it because the parasite is protected by a shell. Its when the ich has fallen off to reproduce that salt/or medication should be used because then it will kill the parasite.

·
Registered
407 Posts
How much salt are you using? I've never known a strain of ich to survive 3 teaspoons per gallon, which is the standard treatment for ich. If you are using less, try that. The usual procedure is one teaspoon per gallon in three doses 12 hours apart. If you are doing water changes during the treatment makes sure the replacement water is treated with 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Agreed on the part of nothing effecting the parasite when it attaches to the host, however the OP did mention that the cyst attached even after five days of heat and salt.

Also, the salt itself does not kill the parasite, it will only aggravate the fishes slime coat into overproduction which then may knock the cyst off the fishes body, so there is really no need to bump it up to 3 tsp/gal since any sat above 1tsp/gal should work just fine. You may also see the slime coat shedding during this too, that's normal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry for not replying, school and whatnot. I was using only the recommended amounts on the package so a tablespoon per 5 gallons. Wcs were roughly 40-50 percent every two days. However I am seeing I added the salt inappropriately, adding only a teaspoon every other day. As of right now only my female platy is showing ich. However her's has spread. Nothing else is showing spots so I preformed a WC and administered salt. Last adding was yesterday at maybe 11pm. I'm just so taken by the situation because I joked with my gf about the catching the heat resistant strain of ich, lol jinxed myself.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh no lol! That stinks XD

Okay yeah, with the salt you'll just want to keep the concentration at 1 or 2 tsp/gallon during the treatment, you don't want to add more every day. The only time you add more is after a water change, say you take out 50% of the water, you also take out 50% of the salt too so that means when you add back the water then you also need to add back the 50% of salt you took out to keep the concentration steady. Make sense? Salt doesn't evaporate/dissapate so that's why you need to keep a check on how many gallons you take out and such so you know where you're at with the salt.

Can you get some pictures? It is possible that this is actually a virus instead of Ich but the chances are more slim that it is Lymphocystis but I'd just want to make sure anyway. The dots would be less like salt sprinkled over the fish but more like lines and rows of white-pinkish dots primarily on the fins (including pectorals) but also on the body as well. And if they look like they're moving around day to day then that's more characteristic of Lympho instead of Ich. Otherwise then yes, it would be Ich. I don't meant to challenge your judgement, I just want to make sure since the treatments are different and all!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts