Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here and I'm fairly new to bettas (though not to fishkeeping) and am looking for a little guidance! I'd love some help identifying my female betta's pattern/fin type. Her thick white scales and "skunk stripe" indicate to me that she might be a dragon, and she has marbled significantly since I brought her home about two months ago.

I've also become a little obsessed with learning about betta conformation and, though I'm not interested in showing Queenie, a critique would be a big help! There's a couple "before" photo attached, too - I promise it's the same betta :wink3: Thank you!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,692 Posts
She looks like a long fin - either HM or delta
We need a side view flaring picture to assess her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! I'll try to take a picture of Queenie flaring... despite all my attempts with mirrors, spoons, pens, and various other objects, I can't get her to flare. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
22,919 Posts
She is, indeed, lovely and I like her body shape. But she is not a Dragon. Dragons are defined as having thick scales over a solid opaque white body with thick scales and solid fins.

Like you, I wanted to know Betta conformation but had no interest in showing. With that in mind, I would suggest going here https://www.ibcbettas.org/upcoming-shows/standards/ and downloading the standards.

The actual list of descriptions, definitions, faults, etc., are close to the bottom. I find it (and indjo) invaluable resources.

BTW, only clubs which offer a "Purchased" class are open to such. Otherwise, one must have bred or co-bred the entry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks, RussellTheShihTzu! I checked out the IBC standards and it's very helpful.

I finally got Queenie to flare and this is about the best picture I have for now -- going to try again later tonight or tomorrow and will hopefully get a slightly more in-focus shot of her (and her fins still don't look totally extended to me). She's always darting around, even when she's flaring! Unfortunately, her ventrals aren't forward in this pic:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts