Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes he has the marble gene. Giants or "king" bettas require larger homes. I have never had one personally but if I did I would probably put him in a 10 gallon. Poor guy, he does look very sad.
Figured he would need a bigger home. He is beautiful, and I was tempted. But I don’t know what condition he’s in and I would rather start off with a cycled tank first. I hate seeing them all like this when I go in to the pet stores.

·
Registered
6 Bettas, Innumerable Snails, 3 Mice, 1 Madagascar hisser, 3 Halloween hissers
3,834 Posts
Figured he would need a bigger home. He is beautiful, and I was tempted. But I don’t know what condition he’s in and I would rather start off with a cycled tank first. I hate seeing them all like this when I go in to the pet stores.
Not sure if I'm helping or not lol

A lot of times when I've brought home the sad looking ones with clamped fins, they were fine after having clean water and some good meals.

Generally, I've only had issues brining the sad ones home when there's other, apparent, signs of illness. (Fin rot, bloat, wounds, other maladies)

I've never kept a giant either before so I can't help there. I've heard they have some issues though.

Poor guy though. Always rough seeing them like that..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if I'm helping or not lol

A lot of times when I've brought home the sad looking ones with clamped fins, they were fine after having clean water and some good meals.

Generally, I've only had issues brining the sad ones home when there's other, apparent, signs of illness. (Fin rot, bloat, wounds, other maladies)

I've never kept a giant either before so I can't help there. I've heard they have some issues though.

Poor guy though. Always rough seeing them like that..
Lol you’re an enabler! But I understand. I wish I could save them all. But I would be buying their entire stock if that was the case. I wish the bigger chains were banned from selling them like this.

·
Registered
6 Bettas, Innumerable Snails, 3 Mice, 1 Madagascar hisser, 3 Halloween hissers
3,834 Posts
Lol you’re an enabler! But I understand. I wish I could save them all. But I would be buying their entire stock if that was the case. I wish the bigger chains were banned from selling them like this.
Oops... :LOL:

Likewise. Even the ones that aren't big chain aren't the best half the time either. Unfortunately, there's just that thought that Bettas do well in incredibly small spaces with not much care..

• Sad
Reactions: Sbirtell

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes he has the marble gene. Giants or "king" bettas require larger homes. I have never had one personally but if I did I would probably put him in a 10 gallon. Poor guy, he does look very sad.
Is this a Giant or a King? He’s questionable larger than a normal sized betta. And it said Kings are the same size as normal bettas. Also, is he missing scales? If so… Is that caused by injuries or infection? And will they come back?

·
Super Moderator
24,372 Posts
You won't know whether he's a King or a Giant until he's fully grown.

I don't know who said Kings are the same size as normal. I'd disregard that person and/or site.

Betta are measured by body-only; no fins included. According to the International Betta Congress, a standard male Betta should be at least 1.5"; and Giants at least 2.5". The IBC doesn't yet recognize Kings so I guess they're somewhere in between. most breeders and those well-versed in such things consider 2"-3" body-only. Many believe they are "Half-Giants" with incomplete Giant genes. I have to look up sizes every single time as I can't seem to remember. ;) Oh, and I really liked my Half-Giants. They were in 10 gallon tanks.

Can't tell from the photo exactly where he's missing scales. If it's mostly on his head he probably doesn't have a full mask.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You won't know whether he's a King or a Giant until he's fully grown.

I don't know who said Kings are the same size as normal. I'd disregard that person and/or site.

Betta are measured by body-only; no fins included. According to the International Betta Congress, a standard male Betta should be at least 1.5"; and Giants at least 2.5". The IBC doesn't yet recognize Kings so I guess they're somewhere in between. most breeders and those well-versed in such things consider 2"-3" body-only. Many believe they are "Half-Giants" with incomplete Giant genes. I have to look up sizes every single time as I can't seem to remember. ;) Oh, and I really liked my Half-Giants. They were in 10 gallon tanks.

Can't tell from the photo exactly where he's missing scales. If it's mostly on his head he probably doesn't have a full mask.
There is so much misinformation online, that’s why I like asking you guys. Plus, you correct me if I’m wrong. I was referring to the pink on most of the body and yes face. Is that normal or does it change over time?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts