Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put Ellie and Gill together and Ellie really liked Gill! Gill ignored her and ran to hide behind his filter. Ellie kept dancing and Gill still avoided her. I left the room for a little and when we came back Gill was pecking Ellie into the gravel! Ellie is really beat up and her tail is torn to pieces, her pectoral fins are also ripped up! I had told my brother Gill was an idiot for a while now, but we wanted to see if he would wake up. We sold him today.

I am appalled at his disgraceful conduct. When Ellie and Moloka'i were together there was no such thing as aggression. Ellie wanted to breed and Gill didn't. I think he got frustrated.

:mad:

I am glad he is gone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow..... and I have about 14 bettas in my tank ..... guess I better watch them closer.... been a month now and nothing so far, but I guess things can change in a minute, huh??

·
Registered
575 Posts
I do not know why they are not really suppose to do that.

·
Super Moderator
19,187 Posts
I do not know why they are not really suppose to do that.
Actually, from everything I've read, this is not uncommon.

Hope Ellie recovers for you.

·
Super Moderator
19,187 Posts
What I have heard is a male will bully a female not ready for breeding. But not one who wants to breed, he was always kind of insecure around females.
I am really trying to wrap my head around this whole thing. Why did you put Gill with a female when you knew he didn't want to breed? Why did you leave them alone instead of watching for the first sign Elllie might be in danger? And why are you mad at Gill? Why are you calling his behavior disgraceful? You're the one who left them alone together knowing it was not a good idea.

I'm stunned that anyone would put two Betta in danger and then blame the fish when the humans are the ones at fault by precipitating the entire fiasco?

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
For future breeding attempts;
BOTH, especially the male MUST be breeding mode. You cannot expect an unwilling individual suddenly change moods, though it can happen if the other were flirting.

DO NOT be fooled by non flaring males. Don't ever think they are not vicious and wont hurt the female. In my experience, it's those intimidated/skittish ones that are mostly vicious.

If your male doesn't want to breed but flares, isolate him for a day or two - preferably in the dark. Then flare him, use a mirror if need be, either by making a hole on the carding or lift card about 1". Leave them for 30-60 minutes. This should some what exhaust him. Then isolate again for a day or so. . . . .. then flare to a flirting male or female - if he hasn't built a bubble nest already.

I don't usually wait for bubble nests. I look at their body language. Once they flirt, you can prepare their breeding tank. . . . But remember MOST males will beat up the female, and may even kill her. It's the breeder's job to protect the female, either by providing hiding spots or cancelling the process all together.

Betta luck next rime :giggle:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well Gill would flare from time to time. But Gill is reeeeaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyy lazy so we thought he would not hurt her. He made a small bubble nest twice before so we were giving him one more chance. But you know it went wrong. But my brother left out that we watched them for a long time then we had to get ready for church. When I went back in my room because I had to grab my tie Gill was attacking Ellie! So I got her out...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
"I am really trying to wrap my head around this whole thing. Why did you put Gill with a female when you knew he didn't want to breed? Why did you leave them alone instead of watching for the first sign Elllie might be in danger? And why are you mad at Gill? Why are you calling his behavior disgraceful? You're the one who left them alone together knowing it was not a good idea."

I'm stunned that anyone would put two Betta in danger and then blame the fish when the humans are the ones at fault by precipitating the entire fiasco?

Whoa there! We had conditioned Gill for two months, he should have been ready to breed. Sorry, but I am just blaming him. We were in the room for 95% of the time. Only when we left was he aggressive. Why is it our fault we left the room? All the youtube videos say to cover the tank and leave them alone. We didn't even do that, we left for like ten minutes. I think anybody else who has their favorite female ripped to shreds would have a similar reaction.

Remember I am 13 and my brother is 11 and this is one of our first breeding attempts.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Conditioned as in fed nutritious food is only part of preparing the pair. What is most important is making them want to breed. They will show this by, what I call, "flirt" swimming. Often males will make bubble nests and females would show breeding bars. But not always.

Next time watch your pair for the first 30 minutes (at least).
1. Are they flirting or fighting
2. After a while, male will attack female. Can she safely get away. If not, either provide more cover or cancel the breeding.

Females will likely get hurt. I've had males kill females in about 10-15 minutes. And they were all in breeding mode. If you don't want your female to have shredded fins, it's best not to breed her. . . . . You can't blame a fish (male) for behaving naturally.

What is done, is done. I hope both of you can learn from this and not make the same mistake in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts