Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a night owl... and want a desk pet...

I know I can't keep the Betta up all night just so I can have a buddy. I have a very roomy desk and could keep a 2.5ish gallon tank on my desk. Would this be acceptable if I shaded the tank with a shroud of some sort... okay probably two towels to block out the light at night. I was thinking of a Crowntail in a large KK with heater, smooth stones, a cave, and some little decorations. I know I would have to do at least a 50% mid week water change and 100% on the weekends. Would the vibrations from me being at the desk doing my thing bother him at night? I really just would like to have one at my desk when I do schoolwork during the acceptable hours for them to be awake.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I know I can't keep the Betta up all night just so I can have a buddy. I have a very roomy desk and could keep a 2.5ish gallon tank on my desk. Would this be acceptable if I shaded the tank with a shroud of some sort... okay probably two towels to block out the light at night. I was thinking of a Crowntail in a large KK with heater, smooth stones, a cave, and some little decorations. I know I would have to do at least a 50% mid week water change and 100% on the weekends. Would the vibrations from me being at the desk doing my thing bother him at night? I really just would like to have one at my desk when I do schoolwork during the acceptable hours for them to be awake.
Well what I would like to address first is that bettas and (fish) in general, never sleep. Don't get me wrong, they rest, but never sleep. What they do is swim and stay awake the whole time.

If you have a betta on your desk I would say to never cover him or her up from sight of things going on. Most bettas love the action, they like to have and see exciting activity around and this helps to keep your betta active.just think of it like this... If you were in a room full of activity and you were stuck in a room that was still and quiet, you would get tired of it and fell so excluded. Later to be a bit lethargic. Of course it doesn't happen exactly like this but pretty close.

So my answer to your question would be a yes. It is very fine that you have at least a 2.5 gallon on your desk. A 2.5 gallon is actually recommended as a minimum size. You would want to watch him or her for a few days to see how it reacts to the usual activity going on. Like how hard the vibrations are that you usually make. Some bettas can handle a lot, but rarely some will be a little scardy cat and swim away.

Also you definitely don't have to do so much percentage in water changes a week. I would say to do a 25% siphoned water change just to take out the debris on the bottom every Monday or better yet, a 50% water change every two weeks or just a little earlier than two weeks like every 10 days. If you have a nice filter in the tank you can even do a nice 75% water change every month though this is recommended for bigger tanks like 10 gallons and up.

Good luck and I would love to see some pictures on this thread when you eventually get the fish and take set up. Everyone has their own unique style.

Again, GOOD LUCK:)

P.S.
Sorry I wrote a sorry lol. But anyway I might be a bit late, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I wasn't going to filter it and that's why I was going to be changing that much water. I'm open to filtering it but I didn't think it was possible to filter those pet keepers. I thought it was important to have a day/night cycle for them. Thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Well I wasn't going to filter it and that's why I was going to be changing that much water. I'm open to filtering it but I didn't think it was possible to filter those pet keepers. I thought it was important to have a day/night cycle for them. Thanks for the welcome
I stated that without a filter you can still keep the tank very clean with at least 2.5 gallons with the method used up there.

Then I said that IF you had a filter (assuming you decided not to get one) you would be able to do 75% water changers every month. That is mostly with 10 gallons and up though.

With fish it isn't completely essential for a fish to have a day night sleep awake schedule. Ith mammals yes, but with fish, they are just made like this, naturally alert because in the wild they can't sleep or they will be either killed or eaten. Yes of course hey rest, but that's when you turn out the lights and they can't see nothing or you or anyone isn't there. And even then they are constantly moving.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Well what I would like to address first is that bettas and (fish) in general, never sleep. Don't get me wrong, they rest, but never sleep. What they do is swim and stay awake the whole time.
every living animal requires sleep. just because they dont have eyelids that shut, dont think they dont sleep.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
every living animal requires sleep. just because they dont have eyelids that shut, dont think they dont sleep.
Yes that is true, but fish don't sleep. There was a thread debating this and all the relating topics of it. We all finally came to a decision that fish indeed do not sleep.

I know that just because they don't have eye lids that shut, but that has nothing to do with it.

The way that I said fish don't sleep sounds like I'm a new fish owner and such, but trust me I'm not. It was clearly proven on the thread. I can't remember the thread name, but it went on for a while until we can all agree that they really don't sleep. They rest for a while in a safe place usually a cave if there is one present, but they do not sleep.

I can actually break it down for you,

Yes fish sleep. But it’s not sleep as we know it. They don’t have eyelids to close, they sometimes do it during the day, they don’t show the characteristic brainwave patterns like REM sleep seen in humans, and some, including most sharks have to keep swimming in their sleep.

So Basically they don't sleep, it is more of a very alert rest... You see in water it is almost impossible to stop moving completely unless your stuck somewhere.

As I stated above, sharks need to keep water flowing through their gills or they could die. And yes as many know, sharks are fish.

They*might*look**but like most resting animals are alert for danger*whilst*resting or “sleeping” saving energy. Most fish do rest. A bit of ‘shut eye’ is difficult for most fish as they don’t have eyelids except for sharks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a 3 gallon KK that's heated and filtered and I do one 50% and one 25% water change a week and everything is great with the ammonia levels. Good luck with your new fish!

·
Banned
138 Posts
I can actually break it down for you,

Yes fish sleep. But it’s not sleep as we know it. They don’t have eyelids to close, they sometimes do it during the day, they don’t show the characteristic brainwave patterns like REM sleep seen in humans, and some, including most sharks have to keep swimming in their sleep.
boy THIS looks familiar.

http://bigquestion.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/how-do-fish-sleep/

anyways, yes fish sleep.
all live animals need sleep.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
75% every month? o_O

Freemike, your cleaning schedule for the non filtered tank of that size (it's the same for any tank under 5 gallons) is spot on and perfect. A filter is not needed, and if willing to do the water changes you had mentioned, then go for it!

My boyfriend is a night owl, is up and down all through the night and he keeps his betta on his desk as well. Bettas do need time to "sleep" even though it's not the same type of sleep, it's still something they need for their bodies to rest. Sometimes they can get into a deep sleep.. half the time I have to jar some of mines tanks to get them to wake up.. they are sideways in their caves and don't react to the morning light for breakfast unless I move the tank lol.
What works best in my house, my boyfriend's betta is he keeps him up for half the night or so, then covers him up in a towel, sometimes leaving just a slight gap to give some light- but not always, for the remainder of the night and into mid morning. That fish is healthy, very active and happy.. they do need 6 hrs or so of "down time" since like all living creatures they are aware of the day/night cycle and in a sense, require it.

The vibrations won't bother him, and in time he will become used to them.. my boyfriend is a gamer, has a large pc monitor and a 32inch flat screen tv for a secondary pc monitor on his desk too.. and his betta pays no mind to it, and loves to play with my boyfriend during down time.

So I say go for it, as long as he has a good chunk of down time then he should be fine and he may enjoy having you close by and all the extra attention from that.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
+1 to Myates

Definatly do the 25% and 100% changes. I have a 2.5 and it works out perfectly!

·
Registered
6,408 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Uh yea, that is where I got it from so there isnt a need for a subtle sarcasm.
well if you're going to take someone else's content and pawn it off as your own, you may get busted.

you should have provided your reference instead of cutting and pasting it and making it seem like something you wrote.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
well if you're going to take someone else's content and pawn it off as your own, you may get busted.

you should have provided your reference instead of cutting and pasting it and making it seem like something you wrote.
I never made it my own. I didnt put a reference because it is pretty obvious that you can easily search it yourself and find that it is the first thing that comes up. So of course I wouldn't be stupid enough to try and plagiarize someone else's work when it is way to easy to get "caught." It doesnt make any sense to do so and I wouldn't do that.

And yes I did copy and paste it here, which is very obvious since it doesnt sound like something I would word like that. Please lets get back on the subject now. If you would still like to continue the conversation, please PM me so we can resolve this.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. By the way, get used to this bickering on threads, that's everywhere here since so many people have different opinions on betta care. After a while, if you stick around, you'll notice people end up in little forum clique's based on their opinions.. It's just like high school. xD

Anyways, a 2.5 gallon tank is a wonderful home for a betta, and the 100 and 25 percent change once a week sounds great! :)

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
It is very true that there are disagreements, but lately they have died down and become to a minimum as many members try to keep this out. I usually address disagreements with a positive attitude.

I apoligize to the OP for the disagreement between myself and another member.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It is very true that there are disagreements, but lately they have died down and become to a minimum as many members try to keep this out. I usually address disagreements with a positive attitude.

I apoligize to the OP for the disagreement between myself and another member.
I have noticed that the forum cliques have died down a bit.

When I first joined, every new member got help from a more established member, and then they ended up being that members follower, and the groups always backed each other up on arguments. xD

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
...back on topic.

I have my fish in my bedroom. Last year, I was going to bed pretty late. I'd feed the fish, then turn the light off, but have my bedside light on for quite some time after that. My fish could still see the light in the room (I could see them by it, if not well), but they still had their dark time after I turned the light off.
I feel this transition stage was probably nice for them, as it allowed their poor lidless eyes to gently acclimatise to the different light. I could actually see their frantic activity slow with the change in light as they went into a rest mode and simply drifted instead of swimming around like lunatics. I see a reverse in the mornings, as I open my curtains and flood the room with natural light before turning on the fish light (also a good idea).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts