Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is by far not my first betta fish but after some research, I realized that the old one-gallon tank was not the way to go! I just bought a 2.5-gallon tank (the link for the tank is below) and I have a few questions! So I'm hoping to buy a tankmate for my betta and I was wondering in such a small tank if I will be able to have a snail with my betta or a few minnows? and if so what kind of snails or minnows will be compatible with my future betta? Thanks a ton!

Here is the tank I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Professional-ADB11001-2-5-Gallon/dp/B00BUFXUBA

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Madison, welcome to the forum!

Because of the size of your tank, I wouldn't recommend any tank mates other than possibly a snail- with that size, both your betta and its tank mates wouldn't really be able to get away from each other, which could mean fin nipping and stress. It'd also be really difficult to keep up with keeping the water quality at a safe level with extra tank mates at that size.
I think A snail would be okay though- Others might be able to help a little more in that regard. I know mystery snails get big but nerites are fun, I have one myself, but they also require a little more care than most expect. (Not anything crazy, but they do need calcium to grow and algae wafers at least if there isn't much algae in the tank).

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,447 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.
I'd go with small snails to help with cleaning. If you must add fish, I'd suggest fast moving non nippers. . . . But 2.5g is rather small since most fast swimmers do best in groups.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 3 gallon tank with one young betta and it has been some work to keep the water the right temp and also the right quality. Adding more fish would def make healthy maintenance of the tank almost impossible and also... as others have said the fish wouldn't have space to get away from one another if needed. A snail might be good, I was thinking of that myself.

I want more fish but I've come to the realization with this size tank it can't happen. However maybe I will upgrade. I have what I think is a 15 gallon in my basement but I'm not sure of its condition and if I can use it again.

I'm starting slow though, trying to learn all the ins and outs! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Snails are great for keeping tanks clean, but considering how much waste they put out, they're not ideal for 2.5gal tanks. Even in a 3.5gal, a large nerite snail puts out so much poop that you have to scoop it out every other day or so - unless you also have plants that eat up the waste.

In a 2.5 I would say not only is it not needed, it'd also complicate things needlessly to add a snail.

As others have said schooling fish take up space as well, & 2.5 gallons isn't a lot of space. The bio-load of anything other than your Betta requires more space. Bettas are usually lone-wolf types, anyway. They like being alone. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts