Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my original intention was to purchase a good quality female on aquabid. I was unsure of what I was looking for. Tonight I went to the petsmart with my sister to buy her supplies to convince her to take proper care of her VT male. Anyway, I happened to look at the bettas on the shelf and there was one little girl left. I know she is nothing special but I just liked her and so I took her home with me. I named her Sassy :)
I'm not great with colors yet so part of what I am asking is what color you all think Sassy is. I'm guessing she has iridescence? She has a blue-green shine to her. I am hoping she is marble? I know her colors might change as she gets older, and I'm partly just guessing.
The second part of what I am asking is what you all think I might get if I were to breed Panic and Sassy. I'm still don't completely understand genetics but I'm working on it. :) just looking for some expert advice.
I'm doing this from my phone so will upload pictures of both fishies in about ten minutes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah sry i cant do it from my phone i had to jump on my laptop.

This is Sassy:

And this is Pan:

·
Registered
248 Posts
hi there creame, congrats on your new bettas. I think sassy is a cambodian. and Panic is a "cooper". What if u breed them? well if you're just looking for pets, then it's no problem. But if your aim is "show quality" then..I think not advisable. just my 2 cents though :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi there creame, congrats on your new bettas. I think sassy is a cambodian. and Panic is a "cooper". What if u breed them? well if you're just looking for pets, then it's no problem. But if your aim is "show quality" then..I think not advisable. just my 2 cents though :)
Thanks! Yeah I know they are not high quality or anything. I am just fond of them and interested to find out what I will get :). I was thinking maybe it would be better to start out with them and then when i get better at breeding move on to the "show quality". It would be awful to waste show quality because I don't understand what I am doing. I still have a lot to learn before I even breed these two.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Just know that breeding is very expensive and takes big responsibility, it will take as much money as breeding pet store fish as much as breeding show-quality. (Besides the fishes' price, lol)
Do they both have a 180* spread? Or at least one of them do? The main problem with store bettas is that you don't know their genes, and they usually have defects like hunch backs or uneven fins.

Just think about it first. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
yes, like LTB said. Looking at their colors ( let's assume they are both "true breed, though this is probably not the case ), the F1 probably dark bodied, green/turquoise/blue/steel blue - red multi ( most of them ), and maybe some "cooper" multi. But what I really concern about is not the colors, it's pan's top - line, while sassy is quite nice actually. So if I were to breed sassy, I'd rather wait till I have another "better" male :). and as usual..just my 2 cents though

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just know that breeding is very expensive and takes big responsibility, it will take as much money as breeding pet store fish as much as breeding show-quality. (Besides the fishes' price, lol)
Do they both have a 180* spread? Or at least one of them do? The main problem with store bettas is that you don't know their genes, and they usually have defects like hunch backs or uneven fins.

Just think about it first. :)
Is there a way to tell any of those? I would definitely like to avoid things like that! It doesn't look to me like Sassy has a 180 but Panic might? And yeah I am saving up and buying my supplies gradually so that I will have everything I need. I won't start anything until I'm ready. Another 6 months from now at the soonest

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, like LTB said. Looking at their colors ( let's assume they are both "true breed, though this is probably not the case ), the F1 probably dark bodied, green/turquoise/blue/steel blue - red multi ( most of them ), and maybe some "cooper" multi. But what I really concern about is not the colors, it's pan's top - line, while sassy is quite nice actually. So if I were to breed sassy, I'd rather wait till I have another "better" male :). and as usual..just my 2 cents though
Pans top? He has that one crooked ray but it used to be straight. Could that mean something?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to an older post that mentions the top-line and has an example of a good one, but how is Pans bad? because he is so level/straight looking?

·
Registered
248 Posts
it's okay :), http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=132794
me and mahsfish discussed a bit about top line in the thread above. Have a look :), but of course that's just what I think, others probably have different opinion. Pan's actually not so bad after all, it's just that I myself will avoid to breed him if there's a chance I can get another male. The reason is, from what I saw so far, most CT usually has somewhat "slimmer" body type compared to other tail types, plus their fins are notoriously "hard to keep in good shape", so I think if u add "weird" body line to those..they might look like "weird insects" rather than bettas LOL

·
Registered
248 Posts
I went to an older post that mentions the top-line and has an example of a good one, but how is Pans bad? because he is so level/straight looking?
I think his top-line is a bit "bumpy" ( at least from what I saw on his pic, unless it's just the "camera" angle ), well like I said previously, not really that bad, just "could be better". Of course it's up to you in the end. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's okay :), http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=132794
me and mahsfish discussed a bit about top line in the thread above. Have a look :), but of course that's just what I think, others probably have different opinion. Pan's actually not so bad after all, it's just that I myself will avoid to breed him if there's a chance I can get another male. The reason is, from what I saw so far, most CT usually has somewhat "slimmer" body type compared to other tail types, plus their fins are notoriously "hard to keep in good shape", so I think if u add "weird" body line to those..they might look like "weird insects" rather than bettas LOL
Yeah that's the one I went back and read. It helped a little but how is he weird? Lol I know that is kind of a hard thing to describe. Other than that one crooked ray his pectoral fins ( I think they are called) are a little torn up because I just moved him to a new tank. I'm waiting to see if they heal nicely. Is it just crown tails as a breed you prefer not to breed? Is it the spidery look they can have?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah that's the one I went back and read. It helped a little but how is he weird? Lol I know that is kind of a hard thing to describe. Other than that one crooked ray his pectoral fins ( I think they are called) are a little torn up because I just moved him to a new tank. I'm waiting to see if they heal nicely. Is it just crown tails as a breed you prefer not to breed? Is it the spidery look they can have?
On the contrary, I love crowntails the most, I only breed crowntails now :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the contrary, I love crowntails the most, I only breed crowntails now :)
well then you're just the person i should be talking to aren't you! so a bumpy back makes them look buggy?

there is one more thing that i can think of that i am not clear on. If you breed a CT pair do you get all CT's? or will that also depend on how purely their genetics are?

·
Registered
248 Posts
So far, when I bred CT to CT ( even with "unknown" background ), I never found any of the offsprings which was not a CT, although each spawns/individuals may have different "CT traits". If you're into CTs, have a look at this link :
http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/catview.imp?catid=878
I think it explained pretty much "all the basic things about CTs" :)

·
Super Moderator
6,447 Posts
+1 caissa - CT x CT = CT
But ray type of CT depends on their genetics.

I'm not a fan of CT. If you're serious about breeding them, you should read about keeping/maintaining their fins. IMO they are the most fussy of all the splendens.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts