Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so about a week ago I decided I would like another fish in the past I had won goldfish at fairs and stuff like that but then I came across the Betta fish and have been trying to research it ever since.
Since I am only 13 I dont have alot of money so I am currently saving up for all the equipment etc.
Which leaves me which alot of time to research and get my facts right so I can be a good beginner owner.

So I was wondering could some of you more experienced owners help me out here and point out and flaws or how to improve my basic plan for when I get the fish this is my plan:

What I need: 3-5 gallon tank (Works within my price range)
Gravel
25W adjustable heater
Water conditioner
Betta food pellets
Stick-on thermometer
Fabric plants
ps: (I am not getting a filter I can not afford one I will just be doing regular water changes.)

Routine:
2 pellets in morning every day
2 pellets in evening every day
fasting on friday

50% water changes twice a week (Tuesday & Friday)
100% water changes once a month

is this an ok plan please help!!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I don't really see anything you need to improve on. It sounds like you are all set for your first betta. Be sure to post lots of pictures when you bring him home. We love pictures. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

sure will,it might not be for a while though because my dad seems keen about it but my mums still a bit skeptcial but she says I can if I pay for everything and I have no money but I am gonna start saving maybe in July thanks for the advice

·
Registered
156 Posts
Make sure your tank has a lid on it. Bettas like to jump! Everything looks good though, you're on your way to being a fantastic betta parent :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it oh and one question do you thin it should be 2 pellets twice a day or 3 twice a day?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great, it all sounds perfect! It's not essential but you could add a little cave or log just so your betta can hide away if necessary. A little cavern can make your fish a little more confident to come out as it knows it can just hide away for protection. Also once every couple of weeks you could supplement your bettas diet with an occasional treat of live or frozen food. It just gives your betta a balanced diet and more vitamins. Also if you have lighting you could add live plants which can help with using up nitrates, if you are interested in live plants I would suggest something like marimo moss balls, java moss, brazillian waterweed/anarchais(if trimmed regularly), Java fern, Anubis nana or amazon frog bit depending on how strong your lighting is, A 3 or 5 gallon tank will be fantastic for a betta! You could even add a little snail or a couple of shrimp as a tank mate. Your plan seems very good, you will have a very lucky betta. If you have any questions feel free to ask :-D

·
Registered
156 Posts
A lot of people feed their betta 4-5 pellets a day, so 2 pellets twice a day sounds pretty ideal. Of course, it does depend on the size of the pellets. Some betta pellets are a lot smaller. The ones I have (Top Fin brand... not the worst, but if you have the choice, get one like New Life Supplement or Omega One) are fairly sizeable so I only feed him 2 twice a day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

I have taken all your advice into account I have a notebook where im keeping all my research so anding your suggestions in there I am currently researching fin rot thanks for all the help

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you're going to do the water changes and don't need a filter you might be able to save by using "unconventional" tanks like me, I use a 2.5 gallon fishbowl that was sold as a candle dish for $20usd as opposed to $20usd for a normal 1g tank

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think your plan is a very good one, do all the research you can, in the long run knowledge is a key to better care, and better care is the key to your Betta's happiness. I think you will make a fine Keeper. Just one other thing you have to have...... commitment to your charge, Your Betta is a living breathing being and only has you to give it the care it needs.
I also have a slight suggestion on filters. If you can find your self a whisper 10 air pump about $10.00 USD (new) airline about $2.00 and a sponge filter for a smaller tank some where around $5.00 Or maybe one of us on here could scare up one and send it to you. It would be easier on you and your Betta when it comes to water changes. (sometimes you could stress your charge with constant water changes). I know my Harry always enjoys watching me change his water. He is always there when I use a plastic cup to dip out the 25% water change in his 4 gal. and loves to get under the first splash when I start refilling his tank. He likes to be there to make sure I'm doing it right.
You won't find the joy or happiness of getting to bond with your charge (they don't tell you about that. It's something you feel and know your doing something right in the way he responds to you.) in your resurch it just happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts