Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week, the airstone hasn't been working. It just won't bubble. We haven't been able to figure it out, so we just left it there, hoping at some time it WOULD bubble.

Last night, I was woken up(Slept on the couch because my best friend has been staying with at my house)in the middle of the night. It was the airstone. The engine thing/power source was really loud-louder then usual that is. So loud that it woke me up. I turned it off, because I was angry and it wasn't working anyway.

This morning, I go to feed scout, and see that the airstone's tube (approximately five inches up from the ston itself) was yellow, and gucky inside.

The tank isn't in direct sunlight-the closest windows are behind closed doors and the patio door(to our porch) is probably fifteen feet across from the tank.

I took out the airstone, and because of the trouble it cause, I'm not sure if I'll use one again. You might say I'm being lazy, or if I'm being this way I just shouldn't have a fish at all. Well I'm mad, okay?
I'm frustrated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh. I'm so done with them. I just feel bad for my fish. He liked to swim into the bubbles and ride them to the top. He'll get over it though. He hasta. lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you guys been using check valves? These are so that when air stops flowing, it doesn't make suction and pull water into the air pump and subsequently break it. I use air stones in 6 of my tanks to help with surface agitation and general aeration. Even those without fish have them.

The only time I've ever heard noise from them is when something else is pushed up against them letting you hear the vibrate from the little motor. Additionally, if this is a tank bigger than the suggested gallons for the air pump, it may be struggling to force through the pressure.

Air stones themselves tend to break apart after awhile, causing bigger bubbles. I manage to keep them for 6 months to a year before they need replacing.
Scout is in a 2.5 gal, so I doubt it's too large. I'm just so done. We have this little chest that is always open(its a tank ornament) and it has a hole in it which I think is for the pump of the airstone. But it doesn't have any other holes, just one, so it can't be....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.