Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Is this unknown disease called maine, or is maine completely different?
Also, has this new disease been recorded in Ontario? Getting a new fishie soon, don't wanna go through this Dx
@SpinOut - isn't that just his beard? just a speculation..
Maine was my blue betta, swept by the disease overnight. I tracked everything during the disease, including how ich moved far from the disease's reach. The disease has not been competely determined as to what it is, although "necrosis" or something HAS been mentioned, but there is no strong liable proof to say it is, or is not. It is basically a bacteria, eating live tissue - leaving you with a half dead fish from anywhere between 2-24 hours (which is the usual) or anywhere up to 72 hours. Most of the bettas who got it, were healthy beforehand. Riddle wasn't - he was the second betta who got it, that I owned. Now my last blue Shadow is on high watch ><

Attachments

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Usually, a black "lace" as it is called, you can easily tell from a "greyed" or "rotted" edge. Often, a rotted edge will look rougher, duller, and thinner than a simple laced edge. I have had a betta who had the pretty black lacing...

And okay, so he was about 10-11 months we'll say. I've noticed it is between 10 and 15 months bettas have been attacked with this disease... It's just a hunch, not a fact :) Luckily, I got Kanaplex in the mail today!!! Now if Shadow ever gets it... I'll be able to fight fire with fire.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
What were the approximate ages of everyone's bettas? I'm wondering if the age could also be playing a factor. And now, we get to see if it can reoccur - much like cancer in humans where it can remain dormant, or cause problems, it can also reoccur.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Sorry it took so long it wouldn't upload. Problem fixed :)

This, is Bruce.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Yes it is possible. It is mainly blues BUT other colors can get it. For me it is mainly blues from one particular store.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
That... Is from being old. Lol. I noticed grey belly is either internal parasites...stress related... Or age related :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Columnaris? Yikes! Do you think that is what he has? I hate that bacterial disease. It's a real pain!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I will mention, that considering wholesaler is basically where most of these fish are coming from, there has got to be a beginning to this disease, somewhere. I have never had it spread, BTW, and there has been people who have had divided tanks and only their blue, or a fish derived from blue, that got it. Though not all blues get it, for me my record stands at 4/5, and the 5th was bloody old when I got him, and he was determined to be an old breeder.

The last fish I had got, he already had it and it spread too far to stop it. I would actually try again, keeping him well away from my fish room of course.

I had also fought off the disease for Shadow, however his internal organs had failed not but a week after, dropsy being the sign of his internal doom. Even if there is a cure, I will say above all else DO NOT BREED POTENTIAL DISEASES I culled Maine's entire spawn, because every single one of them would have been carriers, therefore continuing the line. I've also stopped getting any stock locally and have had to look further, even ship in. Though I won't say "never ever breed pet store fish" as people start out with them, if you do find your fish are infected with such mutated strains, please cull. even if you "think" the fish will be fine, do you really need to have 5-100 or so people complaining their fish died, do to a mysterious disease that took them between 12 and 72 hours?

It's too bad I got stuck on finding the origin of the blues from this store. It's a wholesaler, and that's all I could find out. If it were a breeder I would have contacted them to tell them what was happening. It could very well be someone from Thailand, Canada, USA, or anywhere in the world. The important thing is, to stop the disease at one fish.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
The signs.... Usually lethargy, but more like a tired or lazy fish. Mos won't catch that. Second sign, is the one we see first. The fins go black, or ash grey, as the fins are dying. Only thing I found worked was kanaplex, on Shadow, when I noticed he was more "tired" and watched him and caught it as it appeared. If the fish gets ich (Maine did, overnight) the ich will move away hours before it spreads, as it needs to stay on a live host.

Here has been records of non-blues getting infected however it is more dominant in blues oddly. It could be an underlying genetic default, just like some diseases or problems for us only hit male or female, or even races, while a small fraction of anyone else gets hit with it.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Not too sure. 2 of mine were royale blue with black and red here and there. It was obvious due to the crumpled look of the dead matter, and the silver grey coloration that became of their fins. Then their bodies. Can you put a picture up for us to determine it?

Another one of mine was a lovely blue based green. He was the late comer. Riddle was a steel blue.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Just keep an eye on him. What worked for me, with Shadow (who later died of organ failure but did survive this) was KANAPLEX. Always check on your fish... Morning, and night. If something seems off, especially if you feel he could be attacked by this disease, such as I knew with Shadow when 3 other fish I had from the same store, all blues, passed away from it (different times)... I kept a closer eye on him and caught it hours after it started.

The most common sign I found between them all, was lethargy. They would act as if they were sleeping, sleepy, or just plain lazy. They weren't. It was a very early response to "something is wrong". That is why you should always make sure your fish is absolutely healthy... Makes it easier to know when something is seriously wrong.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
My Maine had it for 72 hours. Another fish of mine had it for approximately the same amount of time. It is the disease... Half of her body is just dead tissue now. I rescued a boy of the same colore before, tried to amputate the disease that had all his fins... Before it got to his body. It was too late for meds at that point, but I was too late as it already got too close to the body.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
No, you do not need to throw away :)

What I did, even though it is not contagious I acted as if it were like a plague...

Hot HOT water, and vinegar (50/50%) is what I used since I am allergic to bleach... You can use bleach. Not 50/50 of course :lol: Just a small amount. Clean all the fake plants and ornaments in scalding water, and bleach solution.

Toss the gravel... Even though it can be cleaned, I never risked it. Rinse everything a heck of a lot, until you feel it is safe to let dry, and refill.

Clean the heater with a damp hot rag with the bleach solution, then rinse it well under luke warm water. If there is a filter, clean it out and get a new cartridge even. I wouldn't chance anything.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I wouldn't worry, as like I said it is not contagious. It's more genetic, then anything we believe. If she survives, I suggest keeping the water warm and clean. Epsom salt is a good idea as when Shadow survived, his organs shut down a week afterwards and he passed away. It may help with the internal problems that may have been caused from the tissue breaking down on the outside.

We also do not know if they can relapse... So keeping an eye on her would be essential.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
TB is a lot different than this disease. TB is contagious... To people as well as other animals.

As for this disease, we have had people who had sororities, or divided tanks and never had a problem with the other fish. Stress can be a factor, as it lowers the immune system giving this disease all reason to attack.

Since Maine, who was bred, was technically in contact with Madame and his spawn, they should have all gotten it if it were contagious. Another one of my fish were in a divided tank. the other fish was fine. I just stopped getting blue fish from that particular store... And culled all of Maine's spawn.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
For all we know it could be a stronger strain. We've been fighting off this one and like any disease known to mankind a stronger uglier one will come along.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I just lost my beautiful blue HM marble boy to this. His first issue was a couple weeks ago and his gills seemed inflammed and he was breathing heavy, so I did a water change. Then the scales on one of his gill plates pineconed. I thought it was maybe trauma but was going on holidays so there was nothing I could do. After holidays I came back and the gills had flattened which I was excited about but his fins had deteriorated and he was pale. Anyways, over the past week his color has come and gone and two nights ago he stopped eating. I realized a chunk of his anal fin was coming off and was a bit fuzzy. He passed away yesterday at some point.

I didn't notice the gray until after he died - it might have developed throughout the day when I was gone or after he died, I'm not sure.

Is it safe to assume this is what I'm dealing with?

Luckly I don't share my siphon that I use in that tank in any of the others so I shouldn't have any cross contamination.

Besides being frustrated that I lost another fish, I'm frustrated because he was in a 10 gallon tank that is planted. I just threw $50 of plants into the tank a couple days ago too. I'm a student going back to school soon and cannot afford to rip the tank down and throw another couple hundred bucks at it to get it up and running again. I really really don't want to toss what is likely well over $100 in plants plus the wood and rocks etc. Do I really have any other choice though? Could I leave it dormant for a ridiculously long time without a fish - will the mycos die off without a host or does it survive indefinitely??

Sorry if these questions seem redundant/obvious. I haven't had a chance to read up on this much.
Does not sound like that was it, to be honest. With my fellas, they all died AFTER grey showed. Literally looks like ashes. Greying after death is normal as that is the body breaking down. To be honest it sounds like something was wrong with the water, or depending when you got him (under a month), could have been an underlying problem from the store.

For the plants, use warm tap water, and isolate the plants for 2-4 weeks. I do this before adding, and after a fish dies.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Well some things you won't be able to test for! Anything chemical in the air, landing in the water, for example. Just break down the tank do a full clean, and restart it. Sucks, but not worth having something go wrong with other fish.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Your frogs sound like columnaris to me, personally.

I will repeat again for this IF caught soon enough you might be able to fight it off. I used KANAPLEX (something I now suggest everyone gets as you usually have to order it). Shadow did pull through but his organs failed soon after - but at least I knew it WAS a possibility to fight it off. I bought him for the sole purpose to monitor every day, logged it every day, and caught it right before it hit.

Now I have not encountered the disease recently, and it may or may not have changed from what I encountered five times over. I've even fought off a weird strong strain of columnaris! :roll: seems like diseases for fish are getting stronger every year.

Anyways, you may want to quarantine the frogs individually, and medicate each. This stops the columnaris from bouncing around. Keep the heat about 76, as fungu loves it warmer - we don't want that!! Maracyn (or maracyn 2) works well on columnaris but again unsure for doses for frogs as they are different from fish. Don't get another fish until it is resolved.

As for the tank, break it down. I toss away substrate when encountering a vicious virus/disease, anything porous (fabric plants) are tossed away, other ornaments and the tank itself can be bleached and left to sit. Please make sure to super rinse it out! Acrylic tanks I just toss out... But glass tanks are usually fine.

To me everyone seems to encounter different strengths of the strain. Inhave reused my tanks after breaking them down and never had an issue. The breakdown time total was 48 hours for me since I let stuff sit quite a while, and usually "rinse and repeat".

Personally I just avoid blues now. It seems to be from one supplier to one store, but it is a wholesaler so I was unable to track it back.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Not sure on the snail but I do know they dislike salt and a lot of meds!

I would not have euthanized Shadow, that is just stupid. He would have had his own tank, like he did, and his own supplies, like he did... I had 5 different water pails, one was just for him, as was a net, food, etc. Just don't breed, obviously. Just because a fish is a carrier, does not mean all the strains call for killing them. You will also have to take care not to let yourself get sick as the result of fish to human disease transfer is most unknown, or iffy at best.

If you want, for the snail, maybe you should keep the fella in his own small tank? Just know not to have anything used between his tank and another tank at all ever. Just in case!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.