Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do not know if this will help but we have seen this before.

i am new to this site but been in fish and retail and now wholesale. Some of the supply that petsmart and petco and ect get fish from is there own wholesale. They have a buyer get there fish. I would think it if through dolphin international or one of the big trans shippers. The fish are out of aisa and when we saw this is was a shipper from Taiwan and he was well known. The fish I saw were all dead in a few weeks and the rummer was it was hormones in the food for blue and red colors. The red fish did not seem to die but lost a lot of color over the months and the blues seemed to die rather fast. Every breeder in Thailand stopped for a few days and bangkok was full of bettas cheap. But this fish in the picture looks like what we saw a year ago in BKK and the rumor in the breeder circle was hormones were found to be the issue and as the liver shut down the fish died meds did not work. My friend is looking at the same picture and he said yup. Hormone fish. Lets face it color sells and if you pay 3.00 usd at a store then the whole sale paid .30cent or so and the broker charged .20 cent and the breeder got his .15 cent. So if he is producing a solid blue that looks to good to be true ...it is. Buy froma good breeder and know what you have. Any good breeder will back his or her fish ASAP. There name is at stake. If you pay 10.00 for that blue fish and see 300 more baby and adults just like it in the same place then you know what you are getting. 2.00 fish are not good deals and will give you issues. But if I had to bet my 40,000 betta's on what your fish has I would say hormones and the fungus and bacteria all at the same time. If you can get the later under control fast enough the hormones might get out of the system and the kidney might get going again. But it is best to cull any fish that shows this and do a good clean job on your tank. Keep all fish apart for a few days and look for issues. If you do not see anything in a few days you are OK most of the time. Betta are some tough little fish. But some of the aisa stuff is so mass produced that the left over china food might be used. This food is spotty at best and even Thai breeders try to never use it. Nice package and food looks pretty but it is death in a bag. Get your fish and your food from a good breeder. Also both petsmart and petco have a vet on staff? If you see the same issue with the fish in the store as you have, bring them your fish and go to a local breeder and get a new safe betta. Let the vet do their job and keep the fish healthy. But I am just giving what I know.....Use my info as good reading only......

·
Registered
27 Posts
This might help some.

I was just at a big shipper in BKK today and he has been getting some fish from us for a while. He said that the infection we are seeing is very easy to treat but with only high end meds. He treats the fish with 500mg Zmax pills or AZITHROMYCIN. At 500mg pet 10 gal of water. Every 24 hours for 5 days. Then he bring the temp to 89 for 2 days with clean water and looks for any fish that need a second run. It seems this is the same for a lot of Thai exporters. So this is not a color thing I am told. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.