Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my betta 3 days ago. My 2.5 gal. tank, filled with conditioned water that had been standing for 24 hrs. It has gravel, a filter, a heater, rocks, and plants.

At first he swam at the top. I didn't feed me the first day, and 1 pellet day 2. He didn't eat. Then he swam at the top. He's never swam around. On day two, after reading some articles that swimming on top meant toxic water, I cycled about 25% of 24 hr conditioned water. He still stayed on top. He ate 1 pellet. Day 3 he was still on top so I cycled 25% of 24 hr conditioned water. Tonight he was swimming at the bottom for a while, now he's back on top.

What should i do? Should I continue to cycle the tank? How often?
Thank you. I'm new to having a betta.

·
Registered
405 Posts
By conditioned water, do you mean you used water conditioner? It's only safe to use conditioner if you haven't already done so :) sitting water doesn't do justice.

Also it sounds like you're using room temperature water, without a heater? Betta fish really thrive, become more active and become more immune to illnesses if you have a good heater for the tank.

This is if you didn't already, since when you make water changes, they have to be the same temperature as the previous water, therefore the room temperature thing kind of got me here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Congratulations on your new betta!
By conditioned 24 hour water, what do you mean exactly?
It's been different for each of my bettas, but Odysseus and Rigsby both took a while to settle in and really start to explore their tanks. If this is the problem, possibly some sort of hide may make him feel more secure, and I also found that the more time I spent just sitting with each of them, the more adventurous and outgoing they became. I know it also took them a while to start eating regularly, but once they were settled in and I found food that they liked, they started eating like the pigs they are today. Rigsby and Odysseus both prefer flakes and won't really eat pellets, while Penelope won't eat the flakes; all three love frozen bloodworms as a treat.
You did say you have a heater, do you have a thermometer that tells you what temperature the water is? If it is either too cold or hot that may also contribute. My tanks all stay at a solid 78 degrees, and all three of my fish are very active and happy.
It sounds like you're doing a good job and I wouldn't be too worried at this point! I know it's very nerve-wracking at first though. If you can, maybe test the water for ammonia, but if you have been doing so many water changes I don't think that's the problem. It seems likely to me that he's just a bit stressed and still settling in. You could get Stress Coat and add that with your water changes if you'd like, it has soothing properties and I think it's really helped my fish out at times.
If you'd like to post pictures of him and his tank we may be able to give you a little more feedback as well. :)

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Good advice above.

I'd like to add: you don't have to "age" your water for 24 hours. Modern conditioners work instantly. Just make sure you condition your refill water, and match the temperature, before you pour it in. Prime and Ammo Lock are better brands of conditioner because they detoxify ammonia, something you want for a small tank

Your 25% water replacements are just called water changes or pwc (partial water change). Cycling is a whole other matter. You can get more information by reading the stickies at the top of the bowls and habitat section of this forum.

You should be performing at least two 50% pwc's every week using Prime @2-drops/gal of tank size.

Read this.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-care/betta-basics-introduction-bettafish-care-232570/
It will help you keep your fish healthy. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts