Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have four betas. I recently just bought a new male. He's the one I'm concerned about. He has been very inactive lately.. It's been concerning me because my three other betas got accustomed to their new homes very quickly. They are very active and eat plenty. They're pretty healthy betas. The only concerns I have for them is just watching their fin rot. But, I have medicine for that.

My new male, Flynn has been very inactive. He is a light colored fish but since I got him, he has gotten much duller. He basically sits near the top of the bowl and just floats there. I was looking at him earlier, he has a yellowish belly. Now, I'm not sure if he had it when I bought him, but I have not noticed it before today. Also, the tips of his fins are faded. And he swims kind of funky. I've had him for a week now. In his bowl, he basically just hovers in one spot. Occasionally changing places.

His water smells much different from my other bettas' waters. It smells very chemically. So, what I just did for him was put him in a bowl of fresh water and went through and cleaned his bowl and his decoration. After that, I put fresh water into his bowl and put him back in there without the decoration. I bought the decoration and bowl from Walmart. I've gotten the same bowls for all my betas so I'm pretty sure it isn't the bowl that's the problem. Could it be possible that the decoration poisoned his water? Before I put him in his tank, I washed the bowl and the decoration..

I'm really lost and so worried..I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I feel so horrible..I'm killing him and I don't know what to do...Please someone help..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hmm... do you have a heater? He may be cold. Also, pictures would help. A lot.
Before we can help you more, please fill this out.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing
What size is your tank?
It's a one gallon. My three other fishes do just fine in it.

What temperature is your tank?
It's around 72-75

Does your tank have a filter?
No, it does not..

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Nope..

Is your tank heated?
Nope...

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
He lives on his own.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Aqueon. Color enhancing. "Daily nutrition for all betta"

How often do you feed your betta fish?
I feed them about 10 times a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Weekly.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
I try to keep about 25%-50%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Depending on which fish I'm changing, treatment for fin rot. I haven't added anything other than conditioner when changing Flynn's.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No...I'm not real sure how to go about doing that..

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
He's gotten duller. The tips of his fins greyed. I just checked on him again. The greyed parts are falling off and are very stringy. Could this be an extreme case of fin rot? He also looks like he has a yellow belly? But he doesn't seem bloated.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He sometimes would float at the top of the water and then sometimes go to the very bottom and just sit there. Also, he doesn't eat.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Earlier this week...Maybe around Friday, January 30th?

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I have no idea how to treat him..I changed his water because it smelt like chemicals. I washed his bowl really good and then put him back in without anything in the tank. Because I believe the decoration may have made him sick? The water smelt kinda like glue..

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
I bought him from Petsmart last weekend(January 25th). I'm not sure if he had. What made him stand out to me was that his fins were in perfect shape. He was also a very silvery, blue-purple color. He seemed to be in great health...And I'm killing him...

How old is your fish (approximately)?
Like I just said, I bought him last weekend from Petsmart...Maybe he's like, anywhere between 6 months and a year old...But I can't really be certain..

I hate that too many of my answers were "I don't know"s or "No"s....My other bettas I felt like I had under control. They seem to be in prime condition so, I thought I had this under control..Flynn seemed to be in such great health and then when I took him in, I started killing him...I really have no idea what to do...Should I give him fin rot treatment? Any help would be so greatly appreciated...I hope the information I gave you will be sufficient enough... But, I just want you to know, I really do care for my bettas...So whatever I can do, I will do..I feel so horrible for how things have been going...I'll post pictures in a few minutes. They're not the best because He's at the bottom and I have a round tank...I hope they'll be good enough..If not, I'll see what I can do about getting better ones..

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bettas are tropical fish and need to be at a constant 78 - 80 degrees. Also the bowls need to have a water change once a day at least as a betta needs at least 2.5 gallons.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That would be finrot. In a one gallon bowl, he really needs daily/every other day 100% water changes, not one weekly 50% change. His lifelessness could also come from the fact that his water is also very cold for him. As a tropical fish, their ideal temperature range is between 76 and 82 degrees.

I suggest daily water changes and buying a heater. Perhaps a little bit of Aquarium salt (NOT TABLE SALT) to help sterilize the wounds.

He also appears bloated. Another member might help more but I'm almost certain more frequent water changes and a heater would do a world of good for him.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I forgot to mention that a heater is a must in all your betta tanks/bowls. Also he does has a pretty bad case finrot going on. Which is cause by ammonia in the water from not enough water changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts