Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, all! I just recently got another betta, and I'm having some trouble with the temperature in his tank. Here's some info:
Tank size: 3 gal
Heater: Hydor Theo 25 watt

The thermometer I bought for this tank says that the tank is about 73-74 degrees. I have the heater set to 80 (and it has been for several days now). I thought this was strange, so I put the thermometer from my other tank in there, and it says that the tank is ~77 degrees. So which one is correct? No matter what, the heater is running colder than I'd like it, so I cranked it up to about 83 so we'll see what happens. (I like my tanks to hover around 80 degrees.)

Here's what happened when I tried to take a pic of the two thermometers side-by-side: PHOTOBOMBING FISHY!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I noticed with the Hydors, they will be lower than what you set them to be. I set mine for 78F and I got 72F.

Anyway, take both thermometers out and let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Look at them to see what the temperature is. Write that down and hen put the thermometers into the tank again, literally side by side, as close and you can get them. Make sure the tips are at the same level in the tank. After 15 minutes, record the data and post both findings here. Then we'll see what's up. You can label the thermometers by the color of their suction cups.

Just make sure to keep both thermometers level. It may seem odd, but sometimes hotter water will sit on the top. A centimeter difference in height for the thermometers can result in very different temperature readings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed with the Hydors, they will be lower than what you set them to be. I set mine for 78F and I got 72F.

Anyway, take both thermometers out and let them sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Look at them to see what the temperature is. Write that down and hen put the thermometers into the tank again, literally side by side, as close and you can get them. Make sure the tips are at the same level in the tank. After 15 minutes, record the data and post both findings here. Then we'll see what's up. You can label the thermometers by the color of their suction cups.

Just make sure to keep both thermometers level. It may seem odd, but sometimes hotter water will sit on the top. A centimeter difference in height for the thermometers can result in very different temperature readings.
Thanks! I actually went ahead and bought another of the same (clear suction cup) thermometer, to see if maybe I just got a dud. (it was only ~$1, so no huge loss of funds) Sure enough, the new clear one reads the same as the blue suction cup thermometer, and the suspected inaccurate clear one is the odd man out. (When I checked them this time, I did put them all perfectly side-by-side as you suggested.)

Of course, this means that my Hydor is still running colder than I'd like it, even after cranking it up to 83, so I'm going to turn it up another smidgen.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A great way to test if any thermometer is accurate is to put it in a glass of ice water. As long as there is solid ice in the water, it should read 0*C or 32*F. Then you can just remember how much it's off by, then subtract and add any time you're reading that thermometer.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That's good that you got everything figured out! Sorry for the did thermometer though. At least it wasn't the blue one or else I'd be switching suction cups. xD my suction cups are always green, since I never get the clear ones. I've never seen a blue one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good that you got everything figured out! Sorry for the did thermometer though. At least it wasn't the blue one or else I'd be switching suction cups. xD my suction cups are always green, since I never get the clear ones. I've never seen a blue one.
Haha, it's a clear one that was stained blue when I had to treat my other betta, Rogue, for ich! At first I was pretty irritated that it got stained, but now I kind of dig it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts