Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to show you guys a pic of my EE after I put the IAL in his tank with him. I posted a few weeks ago about a fin issue with this guy, Storm is his name. He was biting his own fins and I started more frequent water changes with aquarium salt. I ordered some IAL prior to his biting escapade and was just waiting for it to arrive.

Once it came, I put some in every betta's tank (all
5). I have to tell you guys that they absolutely love it!

For those who don't know what it is, please look it up and get some for your bettas. I've noticed a change in every single one of my fish. They were all happy and healthy fish before, but it's like they are in heaven now.

Please use this thread to discuss your experience with IAL and help others learn more about it and encourage them to get some!

The attached pic is Storm standing guard over his new bubble nest. He is very proud and much more energetic than I've ever seen since putting the IAL in there with him! His fins are healing nicely and have responded much better to the IAL vs the salt.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Good to hear. :) The leaves are great for them. A lot of discus breeders use them to help protect fry.
I think there's something different about the antibacterial and antifungal properties in natural items such as IAL and garlic. They're always pretty effective at warding off nasties, while hard drugs work really well at first but bugs eventually develop resistance to them...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear. :) The leaves are great for them. A lot of discus breeders use them to help protect fry.
I think there's something different about the antibacterial and antifungal properties in natural items such as IAL and garlic. They're always pretty effective at warding off nasties, while hard drugs work really well at first but bugs eventually develop resistance to them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I really wish more betta keepers tried/used them. I agree, and have seen first hand now, that the natural items (IAL in this case), work much better than other methods.

I have also read that IAL is a good for water treatment as well. I'm not sure that I'd only use the leaf with water from the tap though. I'd still use stress coat or other conditioner. The water conditioner I've been using for my bettas actually has some sort of almond leaf extract in it. I did notice a difference between that and a few others that did not contain the extract.

I am looking forward to reading other examples of IAL use and hope that those that are unaware of it will also read what others post and give it a go!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I think the IAL can help in ways like stress coat does, replenishing slime coat for the fish. But I don't think it can take care of chlorine in water, so a conditioner would still be needed. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I too would like suggestions about where to buy IAL and what type to get. I looked at some for sale on ebay and amazon, but there are different grades of it, and while I don't care if it looks perfect, I wonder if the lower grades wouldn't be as effective? I'm thinking of trying some for one of my boys. He's damaging his tail fin and I'm not sure if he's biting or if he's catching it on something, but Stresscoat doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
The grading is just how ripped up the leaf is. I never understood it because the leaf falls apart anyways. A lower grade works just as well as a higher grade. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I've almost always used them, they do help the slime coat and help stop infections.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
my lps only sells tiny leaves "for hermit crabs" but i know theyre almond leaves

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good to know I don't need to pay extra for higher grade. Anyone have a good (or bad) experience with a seller on ebay or amazon that they'd care to share? Or a recommendation for another place to buy them online? I can't find any locally.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Would that be http://stores.ebay.com/Amys-Ketapang-Inc ? I saw that store recommended in an article when I was Googling IAL, and I was wondering if anyone here had experience ordering from there. I'm always a little nervous about buying from ebay sellers outside of the US.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Yep that's her! I know most of our members buying IAL get it from her!
You can also buy the bark which might be better for larger tanks as it's stronger.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts