Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st time spawning my stunning rose tail Mustard Gas male. The half-moon, deep blue female was more-than ready and became frustrated with his clumsy spawning efforts. He finally got the wrap right, and they mated off and on for several hours. She showed more interest in picking up the eggs than he did, while he casually increased the size of the bubble nest.
Day 1 (Friday): removed the female. Male patrolled under the nest, but didn’t notice a few egg’s randomly falling out.
Day 2 (Saturday): far fewer eggs in nest, and nest is smaller. Male not patrolling, but sort of swimming around under the nest, and occasionally sleeping on the floating leaves.
Day 3 (today, Sunday): male nowhere near the nest. A few eggs floating on the surface due to surface tension, but only a handful of eggs actually still in the nest. Many eggs on the floor of the tank and plants under the nest. Male completely disinterested.
Question: will he get better at this? Will he figure out how to be a Dad by the second or third spawn, or do I give up breeding him?
Also: will planeria in tank affect spawning/ hatch rate?

·
Banned
11 Posts
1st time spawning my stunning rose tail Mustard Gas male. The half-moon, deep blue female was more-than ready and became frustrated with his clumsy spawning efforts. He finally got the wrap right, and they mated off and on for several hours. She showed more interest in picking up the eggs than he did, while he casually increased the size of the bubble nest.
Day 1 (Friday): removed the female. Male patrolled under the nest, but didn’t notice a few egg’s randomly falling out.
Day 2 (Saturday): far fewer eggs in nest, and nest is smaller. Male not patrolling, but sort of swimming around under the nest, and occasionally sleeping on the floating leaves.
Day 3 (today, Sunday): male nowhere near the nest. A few eggs floating on the surface due to surface tension, but only a handful of eggs actually still in the nest. Many eggs on the floor of the tank and plants under the nest. Male completely disinterested.
Question: will he get better at this? Will he figure out how to be a Dad by the second or third spawn, or do I give up breeding him?
this is what i did, after they done breeding, remove both, female and male, fertilized eggs will hatch no matter where they are floating or on floors, you can either syphon eggs into clean container/clean water/add methalin blue and let them be till they hatched, or just add methalin blue to the breeding tank after removing both parents, in my case this prevents egg eating fathers or inexperinced ones, i had 8 spawns this summer, and only ONE had father raised kids till free swim age, everyone else hatched artifically and made it to adult size just fine :) no idea on planeria, but you can elimite that issue, by moving all eggs to clean water/container.

·
Banned
11 Posts
also gonna add here, make sure egg container has no more than 2 inches of clean water so when kids hatch they can find surface easily if needed, and get some life plants with them, so they can snack on infusoria while be ready for baby brine shrimp, and higher temp of water faster hatch time, i had water outside almost at 87 F and eggs hatched under 24 hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is what i did, after they done breeding, remove both, female and male, fertilized eggs will hatch no matter where they are floating or on floors, you can either syphon eggs into clean container/clean water/add methalin blue and let them be till they hatched, or just add methalin blue to the breeding tank after removing both parents, in my case this prevents egg eating fathers or inexperinced ones, i had 8 spawns this summer, and only ONE had father raised kids till free swim age, everyone else hatched artifically and made it to adult size just fine :) no idea on planeria, but you can elimite that issue, by moving all eggs to clean water/container.
I’ve looked more into the planeria thing. Thank you so much for your advice! I will use it when I try again!

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
They seldom change caring behaviors. I suggest you try artificially hatching eggs as suggested above. Good fertilised eggs will hatch - it's a race against mold.

Not really sure how planaria effects eggs/fry. I sometimes have them but see no real difference in hatch/survival rate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They seldom change caring behaviors. I suggest you try artificially hatching eggs as suggested above. Good fertilised eggs will hatch - it's a race against mold.

Not really sure how planaria effects eggs/fry. I sometimes have them but see no real difference in hatch/survival rate
Thank you!
Edit: planeria eat eggs. But these were already gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts