Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallons (divided into two five gallon)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-79 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? One betta on the other side of the tank (divided)

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bug bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Every day, a couple flips of the bug bites opening

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? River
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Bacteria start (nutrafin) and seachem prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Seems like his scales were pushed up, almost creating a nose between his eyes. There are no scales around his top lip anymore.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Still super happy, swimming around, eating well, and has a large bubble nest he's taking care of
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Had a bit of tail rot a couple months ago but aquarium salt fixed it
How long have you owned your Betta? Since last October
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

This is a horrible photo but it was literally the best i could get. Just wanted to make sure he only scraped himself on something and that it's not some sort of disease. There is no discoloration.

Water Organism Plant Terrestrial plant Grass

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
639 Posts
Hello and sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

Are there any changes visible since you posted?

I could only think of some injury he‘s done to himself. Squeezing himself through some decor, suction cups or anything and then backing up.

Maybe you manage to get a picture from a different angle and post it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks about the same (swelling seems to have gone down though!) Think he did injure himself. It's possible it was on suction cups cuz I have a few of those. Thank you for responding!!

·
Super Moderator
639 Posts
Or he might have tried and stuck his head inside the vaselike decor?
I don‘t see what size it is but if you think it could be the culprit I‘d rather take it out, plant some anubias inside or fill it with gravel.

Hope he‘ll be fine soon. Adding an Indian Almond Leave couldn‘t be wrong in case he needs some antibacterial support.

·
Premium Member
Buddy, Buzz, Honey, Brody and Simon
459 Posts
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallons (divided into two five gallon)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-79 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? One betta on the other side of the tank (divided)

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bug bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Every day, a couple flips of the bug bites opening

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? River
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Bacteria start (nutrafin) and seachem prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Seems like his scales were pushed up, almost creating a nose between his eyes. There are no scales around his top lip anymore.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Still super happy, swimming around, eating well, and has a large bubble nest he's taking care of
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Had a bit of tail rot a couple months ago but aquarium salt fixed it
How long have you owned your Betta? Since last October
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

This is a horrible photo but it was literally the best i could get. Just wanted to make sure he only scraped himself on something and that it's not some sort of disease. There is no discoloration.

View attachment 1033557
Hi,
I always like to recommend a product called Kordon’s Fish Protector for bettas with scale or fin issues. I’ve seen it work and fast too. IMO it helps speed up the healing process and adds a thick slime coat. It’s main ingredients are echinacea and B vitamins. Definitely Indian almond leaves too.

This is what the bottle looks like.

I hope he heals up fast! He’s so cute.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or he might have tried and stuck his head inside the vaselike decor?
I don‘t see what size it is but if you think it could be the culprit I‘d rather take it out, plant some anubias inside or fill it with gravel.

Hope he‘ll be fine soon. Adding an Indian Almond Leave couldn‘t be wrong in case he needs some antibacterial support.
He goes in and out of the vase all the time, so that's not the issue. Thank you for the tip!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
I always like to recommend a product called Kordon’s Fish Protector for bettas with scale or fin issues. I’ve seen it work and fast too. IMO it helps speed up the healing process and adds a thick slime coat. It’s main ingredients are echinacea and B vitamins. Definitely Indian almond leaves too.

This is what the bottle looks like.

I hope he heals up fast! He’s so cute.
Thank you! He is very cute haha. Dances for food every time I see him. If I keep the water clean, is it necessary to treat it versus let it heal on its own? Or would the healing take quite a while? He doesn't seem to be in pain but I could be wrong. Just have a newer tank setup so I don't want to muck up the filter system with IAL in case it'll heal soon (obviously I will if you think it would be beneficial for him cuz I love the little guy)

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
So cute! I totally know what you mean about the IAL but honestly, unless you let a leaf sit and decompose on the bottom of the tank after it stops floating, it shouldn’t dirty your filter with leaf bits.

If I were in your situation, I would make a tea out of them. Besides turning your water brown (which can be removed with carbon later) it is super beneficial in terms of preventing or deterring an infection. It has lots of benefits - antifungal, antibacterial plus it’s soothing and natural. I’d rather go for prevention now then having to use medications later if it doesn’t heal.

One of the moderators on the forum told me to think of it this way, if you start using a tea now, your ahead of the game if things get worse.

To make the tea, all you’d need to do is boil about 5-10 large leaves in a pot with conditioned water until it turns to a dark brown color (like bourbon). It takes a while but you can yield a lot. You can add it to his water directly or with a water change, obviously at the right temp though. 🥵

I actually saw this stuff pictured at my lfs and picked some up in case I am in a bind and can’t make a tea and need the tannins. I haven’t used it yet but if you saw this or something like it, you could use that instead of making the tea. Oh and I always make a big batch of the tea with all of those leaves and store them in the fridge in mason jars.

I can’t claim to be an expert but the first thing I would do if my betta has fin or scale issues is Kordons and the tea. Sorry for such a lengthy reply! I really hope he heals quick.
Liquid Fluid Solution Drink Ingredient

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
One more thing, I always float an IAL. I change it once a week with cleaning because I’m not into the leaf bits clogging the filter. Bettas LOVE to build bubble nests under them! My betta loves sleeping under his too. I really do think they are comforting for them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So cute! I totally know what you mean about the IAL but honestly, unless you let a leaf sit and decompose on the bottom of the tank after it stops floating, it shouldn’t dirty your filter with leaf bits.

If I were in your situation, I would make a tea out of them. Besides turning your water brown (which can be removed with carbon later) it is super beneficial in terms of preventing or deterring an infection. It has lots of benefits - antifungal, antibacterial plus it’s soothing and natural. I’d rather go for prevention now then having to use medications later if it doesn’t heal.

One of the moderators on the forum told me to think of it this way, if you start using a tea now, your ahead of the game if things get worse.

To make the tea, all you’d need to do is boil about 5-10 large leaves in a pot with conditioned water until it turns to a dark brown color (like bourbon). It takes a while but you can yield a lot. You can add it to his water directly or with a water change, obviously at the right temp though. 🥵

I actually saw this stuff pictured at my lfs and picked some up in case I am in a bind and can’t make a tea and need the tannins. I haven’t used it yet but if you saw this or something like it, you could use that instead of making the tea. Oh and I always make a big batch of the tea with all of those leaves and store them in the fridge in mason jars.

I can’t claim to be an expert but the first thing I would do if my betta has fin or scale issues is Kordons and the tea. Sorry for such a lengthy reply! I really hope he heals quick. View attachment 1033710
Thank you for the help! I will try the IAL

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Thank you for the help! I will try the IAL
You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help. They are great for fish stress too. I forgot to mention that. Hopefully he’s not in pain but just in case he’s uncomfortable.

I hope he heals up fast. Those IAL are definitely the way to go.

Have a great night!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts