Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Betta has a whitish outgrowth on the body. I first noticed it about 3 weeks ago and assumed it was an injury and will heal with time. But it has become bigger over time and now I am wondering if it is some sort of parasite on the external surface. The Betta lives alone in a 17 litre (5 gallon) tank with nothing but a few plants so injury would be difficult. I have been changing water everyday and treating the Betta with API Pimafix and API Melafix since the day I noticed the growth. Moreover I have been giving the Betta daily epsom salt baths of 20 seconds with breaks in-between days. I have attached the pictures would be grateful if anyone has seen such outgrowth and can opine if it indeed could be a parasite. I have also tried anti-parasite meds but the growth showed no sign of change so I discontinued them. The Betta overall is doing well, normal activity and appetite and looks none the worse for the growth.

Attachments

·
Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, Atlantis, & Pinky. SIP Geneva, Saturn, Ruby, Blush, and Crystal.
1,133 Posts
Hello, sorry your betta is not doing well. Can you please fill out the emergency template? And also, pics of the tank would also be helpful. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for sharing the template! Here are the responses. I hope this will help. Thanks-in-advance!!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes, a mechanical filter with bio media
Does it have a heater? no, not required, I live in a tropical climate
What temperature is your tank? between 77-80 Fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Blood worms & micro pellet (Hallo Feed & Optimum)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? micro pellets & blood worms
Freeze-dried? Bloodworms are freeze dried
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Usually 2 times a day enough to finish in 1-2 minute. Since the appearance of the white spot have been giving a 3rd meal to try and build up immunity

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every 3rd day 30% change
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
What is the source of your water? tap water kept overnight and treated with anti-chlorine solution (Brand: Aquatic Remedies)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? substrate vacuum once a week
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Stress Coat, India almond leaves

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Do not measure
Nitrite: Do not measure
Nitrate: Do not measure
pH: approximately 7.0
Hardness (GH): do not measure
Alkalinity (KH): do not measure

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? has a white growth on body which has increased in size over last 3 weeks
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No visible changes, very active and normal appetite
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, very well, is always hungry
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Pimafix, Melafix everyday past 2 weeks. Epsom salt bath for 20 seconds every 5 days with 3 day break, tried anti-parasite meds (API)
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 6 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
It looks like a cyst or tumor. There isn't much that can be done for either unfortunately. Keep the water very clean and if you can add some Indian almond leaf. If it starts to look like it might rupture I would add some aquarium salt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like a cyst or tumor. There isn't much that can be done for either unfortunately. Keep the water very clean and if you can add some Indian almond leaf. If it starts to look like it might rupture I would add some aquarium salt.
Thank you, I agree it is starting to look like a tumor since it is still growing and it has tissue mass, doesn't look like a cyst but then I am not an expert. Youtube has some surgery procedures but that seems beyond what I can handle. I will consult a vet. Thanks again!!

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
IMO melafix won’t do anything. It may help prevent infection should it rupture but you’d get the same result with Indian almond leaf. I have a guy that has a tumour also, he’s had it around 6 months. Doesn’t bother him so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO melafix won’t do anything. It may help prevent infection should it rupture but you’d get the same result with Indian almond leaf. I have a guy that has a tumour also, he’s had it around 6 months. Doesn’t bother him so far.
Yes, as of now my betta is kind of looking unbothered but the tumor (if indeed) is growing quite rapidly and I fear the worst. But again, thank you for your help & time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts