Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new friend Beast about a week and a half ago. The veiltail lives in a half gallon tank(New 2.5g on the way!), has a plant to hide behind, and a 50% water change every two days. But as of today, I learned that I can play with him. I fed him his morning pellets and after he ate, gently put my finger on the side of his tank. He came up and looked at it, and I moved slowly to the right and he swam back. When I moved, he would slowly move the opposite direction. After a few times that happened, I called it a failure and decided he wasn't ready. But now the slightest movement of my desk causes him to jump and swim straight across the tank two or three times. I wasn't sure why, but I decided to put my finger on the tank one more time. That proved to be bad, because he freaked out even more. I haven't made a movement towards him since then, for fear of him hurting himself. He is still swimming frantically.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
First off, I know you said you have a new tank on the way and that is great BUT while he is in the .5 gallon tank you need to daily 100% water changes because the ammonia builds up incredibly quickly.

I think things will calm down when you get him into the new tank. A .5 gallon tank is super easy disturb and that could be freaking him out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been scared to do a 100% because I read online that completely new water can put the little dude in shock. I'll give it a shot in a little while.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Be careful to match the temperature as closely as you can (and add conditioner of course) and it should be okay. It wouldn't hurt to acclimate him again too. Keep in mind that he is stressed, though.

I also imagine that in a .5 gallon, you do not have it heated. If you don't live in a tropical area, you will want to heat that 2.5 gallon. I wouldn't try it in the .5 gallon though. Just about any heater would heat the water too fast for your little guy and that could put him into shock as well.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
No, it will not send him into shock. You just have to acclimate him properly when you an 100% water changes. If your tank is not cycled you need 100% water changes to remove ammonia.

Do you have a heater coming with the new 2.5 gallon tank? You absolutely need a heater, no exceptions. Bettas are tropical fish and need water that is constantly at 78-80 degrees (meaning no changes in the temperature). You really should have a heater now but there is not heater that can safely heat a .5 gallon tank so i'm hoping he will be okay until you get the new tank set up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. I just thought of one more thing, I moved his tank this morning. Could the change of environment be stressing him out? Would it help at all if I moved him back?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
no, that shouldn't have stressed him out. Maybe the action of his tank being carried but that is it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts