Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY previous fish, Petunia, died of what I didn't know of, until after her death, I cleaned her tank and saw tons of white poop float out. Then, I thought she had died of a parasite.

Some of Petunias early symptoms are now showing in my other fish Suzy.
You can see Petunias post here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=573738

Suzy is a beast. She literally jumps out of the tank when lunging for food, and is always swimming around. But she wasn't so crazy about her food as usual, and she was having a little bit of trouble swimming to the top. We have been battling finrot for about a month now, with 10 days of AQ salt. and again for 5 more days a little while after that. I got some good Start Right Aloe vera water conditioner from Jungle, and in the first day I saw healing in her fins.

Anyway, while I was cleaning her tank, I believe I saw white poop. A bunch of white stuff was flowing out, so I think it was. She seems to be thinner than she was now, and that's what Petunia was going through. She seemed to have gotten thinner and thinner.

Here she was last month:

And here she is now:

I want to know if this is a parasite or something else, so I can order treatment before it gets worse.

What size is your tank? One gallon (I know its small, but I stay on top of water changes)
What temperature is your tank? I broke my thermometer so I don't know. I think its too cold though.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? NO but I have a heater if I need it. (I used it for Petunia when she was sick,so i'm nervous that it will spread germs to other fish.)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? One flake, Once a day. But she has been getting bloated lately so she does better with freezedried bloodworms so :-?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week (I only managed to do one this week)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle StartRight Aloe Vera tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Seems to be getting thinner
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Wouldn't say lethargic, but slow, hanging at the bottom,but coming to the surface when I pass by.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Finrot
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know, but I got her in March.

Thank you so so much!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
You really need a thermometer... A basic glass aquarium thermometer costs all of $3 at petsmart and im sure less at Walmart...
You need to make sure you don't shock your fish every time you do one of those 100% water changes, and sticking your finger in the water does not count as accurate.
And get her a heater.

Getting your water tested might be beneficial as well....

You can treat her with aquarium salt at 1tsp/gallon and if you can get your hands on something like Prazi Pro its very safe and easy to use.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It could be paracites yes. I would pick up some General Cure for that. use some aquarium salt to help her calm down a bit too. But there are other problems we should talk about. I am not scolding you I promiss I just want to help your fish and give you friendly advice ; u ;
Tank : a bit small for my taste, try at very least a 2.5 gal. you would be suprised what you find at garage sales. with a five gallon you only have to clean once a week if you have a filter!
Food : flakes are no good for bettas. get some good pellets like new life spectrum. It may be that your betta is getting bad nutrition. Blood worms are more of a treat then a food staple also.
heat : Bettas need stable temps so get a thermometer and heater. It's really importent.

keep the water super clean. Also most meds come in 5-10 gallon doses to you are gonna have to break out the math skills

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@kingpopzy I will get her into a bigger tank with a heater ASAP! Thank you! Also, I'm just not sure if she has parasites yet, but would it harm her if I just treated her with general cure anyway? Even if its not a parasite?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@watermelons Thank you so much!! I actually bought two thermometers but I broke both of them ;D HAha! Ill get another ;) Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh cool ! More wiggle room for the wiggle fish haha. I don't think it would really hurt her no. Paracites can be real dangerous so it is best to act fast on them if you ask me.

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
There's nothing wrong with Omega One flakes. These are the first ingredients: Whole Salmon, Halibut, Black Cod, Whole Herring , Whole Shrimp, Whole Krill.

Sorry, but if she gets bloated do not use Aquarium Salt. Ever. Aquarium Salt causes fluid retention; just the opposite you want to do with a fish prone to bloat.

If you are worried about the flakes buy her pellets or frozen foods like bloodworms, Daphnia, shrimp. It is not bad to feed frozen food if you feed a variety. The frozen I feed are all gut-packed with vitamins and my fish are all doing better than ever. Unless the freeze-dried bloodworms are also enhanced I would stay away from them.

Her symptoms are those of a too-cold fish and one exposed to too much Ammonia. Lethargy is one of the first things you notice followed by loss of appetite.

As far as water changes, one 100% water change is not enough to keep Ammonia down in a one gallon. And 100% water changes can further stress an already compromised/ill fish. Do a 50% every other day, instead.

Get your thermometer, turn on the heater, do a 50% water change every other day and see if she doesn't perk up. And when you can budget it in get her a bigger tank. PetSmart, if you have one, has a 2.5 Grreat Choice 2.5 with glass canopy for $15.00. I've seen them and they are nice tanks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@RussellTheShihTzu
ah I can't believe I didn't remember the symptoms of a cold fish!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm treating my girl betta with aquarium salt because she has a wierd white spot on her side. I'm not 100% sure it's anything, but I love her and I'm paranoid, too. She came that way from the pet store, I didn't see it until I got home, but feel determined to cure her. She wouldnt have been happy there if she was sick. I would use a simple treatment even if you aren't sure, for your peace of mind. She's already starting to get more energy and eats more eagerly, so what if I had done nothing? Anyway, this is about your fish, not mine. I would say start an aquarium salt treatment, and if that does not change anything, get a medicine that specifically treats parasites (so, not fungal). They do cost a bit in some stores, but it's better than losing an awesome fish. Order it anyway, and if it is not needed, at least you have it around for when it IS needed.

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
I'm treating my girl betta with aquarium salt because she has a wierd white spot on her side. I'm not 100% sure it's anything, but I love her and I'm paranoid, too. She came that way from the pet store, I didn't see it until I got home, but feel determined to cure her. She wouldnt have been happy there if she was sick. I would use a simple treatment even if you aren't sure, for your peace of mind. She's already starting to get more energy and eats more eagerly, so what if I had done nothing? Anyway, this is about your fish, not mine. I would say start an aquarium salt treatment, and if that does not change anything, get a medicine that specifically treats parasites (so, not fungal). They do cost a bit in some stores, but it's better than losing an awesome fish. Order it anyway, and if it is not needed, at least you have it around for when it IS needed.
Please note that while not bloated now this Betta does have bloating. It is not good to treat a Betta that bloats with Aquarium Salt as you want to release fluid; not retain it. There's an easy way to remember when to use which:

Aquarium Salt is for external; Epsom Salts for internal.

Other than stress stripes there's nothing externally wrong with this Betta while yours has an external spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts