Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I realized that the female Betta I just purchased follows all the symptoms of internal parasites... And I don't know the cure.

1) minimal movement
2) sits at bottom
3) white poo, or eggs... I don't know (string from her egg spot that's lumpy and looks like a chain of eggs)
4) doesn't eat
5) tends to clamp her fins
6) gills look inflamed

Can't post a picture... I'm on a cellular device.
She was in this condition before I bought her, but I always wanted a yellow betta so I felt that I needed to heal her.

Any advice or cures that are known for any of her symptoms?
Please help. Thanks :)

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No (only filter circulation)
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 female bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms, flakes, pellets, peas
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times (she doesn't eat)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? New tank, never did yet (yes it is cycled)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: gh- 180
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Didn't change
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Didn't change... Doing a little better. She used to not even move
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Before I bought her
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? aquarium salt, stress relief, going to buy bacterial treatment tomorrow
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Since purchase, is now
How old is your fish (approximately)? Adult (probably no younger than 6 months)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Probably just stress of the new environment and expelling egg protein from her body. It's pretty normal.

Warning, if this is a sorority, never had a sick or potentially sick fish to your tank; it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I doubt she has parasites, hold off on the medication. Bacterial medication will not help parasites as they are two very different things. If you get anything, it should be PraziPro if you can find it, Praziquantel is a protozoan medication (parasites).

Did you just throw her in with the girls? If so, she's likely stressed out for this new situation and hence her symptoms of not eating, clamping fins, and sitting around. The other girls are dominating her. If this tank is divided (hopefully since a sorority needs 5 girls or more and should be a minimum tank of 15 gallons) then she can still be intimidated by her new tankmates. Give it time. It can take up to two weeks or a month before fish are fully accustomed to their new homes. It's a big leap for fish to go from store to your house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably just stress of the new environment and expelling egg protein from her body. It's pretty normal.

Warning, if this is a sorority, never had a sick or potentially sick fish to your tank; it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I doubt she has parasites, hold off on the medication. Bacterial medication will not help parasites as they are two very different things. If you get anything, it should be PraziPro if you can find it, Praziquantel is a protozoan medication (parasites).

Did you just throw her in with the girls? If so, she's likely stressed out for this new situation and hence her symptoms of not eating, clamping fins, and sitting around. The other girls are dominating her. If this tank is divided (hopefully since a sorority needs 5 girls or more and should be a minimum tank of 15 gallons) then she can still be intimidated by her new tankmates. Give it time. It can take up to two weeks or a month before fish are fully accustomed to their new homes. It's a big leap for fish to go from store to your house.
I now have her separated but she was doing this before I even bought her. She had a string of eggs coming from her before I put her with the other girls. Nobody intimidates or even flares at her, but I separated her anyways. Thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Have you researched sororities? I only ask for your own good. They are very stressful environments and even if it seems like they're fine, it's usually not the case. Fish have their own language of course, as well as body language; some of it we can read. It's how the fish approaches another even, that can determine if they're alpha or stressed out. And then of course the obvious signs of stress stripes, clamping, and stuff like that.

Is the tank adequately stuffed with live or fake plants?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you researched sororities? I only ask for your own good. They are very stressful environments and even if it seems like they're fine, it's usually not the case. Fish have their own language of course, as well as body language; some of it we can read. It's how the fish approaches another even, that can determine if they're alpha or stressed out. And then of course the obvious signs of stress stripes, clamping, and stuff like that.

Is the tank adequately stuffed with live or fake plants?
I have done tons of research and read the thread. I've kept Bettas together successfully before. My tank is a 10 gallon that is jammed with plants of all sizes. As well, I have floating and weighted pvc pipes to serve as hiding places :)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Alright, cool :) Just don't want anyone to be caught off guard by potential disaster is all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts