Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - First time poster here, thx for having me!
About a few days ago I noticed my female betta had a long string of poop coming out of her and I had never seen a betta poop like that so just chalked it up to a lil backlog of poop. I try hard not to over feed. Today during her weekly water change I noticed white fuzz on the tip of an IAL and a bit of white film on the floating thermometer so I got worried and did some poop research.

She hasnt looked eggy so I thought I could rule that out. I do know the water is prone to higher bacteria levels cuz of not using a filter. The tank came with one but was too strong so I removed it and am now getting a sponge filter. She has been without a filter for about a month and a half with no problems. Can you please advise if I should treat for parasites or not? Thanks!!!

Images attached

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? No, sponge filter will be delivered next week
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 81
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? No What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega buffet flakes/ pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? 1-2 x a day How much? 2-3 small flakes or 1 pellet per meal

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Gravel vacuum (I have a bare bottom tank)
What additives do you use? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: about 7 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): -
Alkalinity (KH): -

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Early this week but didn't think anything of it until I noticed a tiny amount of white fuzz growing on the tip of an Indian almond leaf
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Seems a tad dull but still pretty vibrant
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? A lil jumpy when I get near but overall still swimming a lot & playful
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? No If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Since October Was he or she a rescue? No, she was a very young betta I bought at Petsmart

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I didn't document the fuzz & film when I found them it was a bit hairy and only on the tip of the stem on the ial, looked hairy like the kind in the pic attached.

I decided to buy Paraguard & garlic guard to treat my lil one. Good thing is I haven't seen any long poops come out of her since yesterday. Just the two in pic attached and it's looking a bit more normal now but will still treat just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like I got a case of white fungus/ mold. Found her eating some off of her betta log today.

You can see about a centimetre growing off the log.

The good thing is that she hasn't had long stringy poop in a few days. I've been treating her tank with paraguard (1 capful a day) & soaking her 1-2 daily pellets in garlic guard. Seems to be helping

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts