Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Jamie here! I unfortunately purchased an already sick betta, which past yesterday. I only had him 2 days but its easy to get attached. I knew something was wrong with him so I did some research and spent $150 on a new set up, but he just didnt make it. I had a betta way back in middle school and I knew nothing. I fed him, changed his water regularly and he lived years.

I am cycling my new tank now, but I would like to get a new betta from the hopefully healthier batch that comes in wednesday. I have a 1 gal tank I could keep him in until the cycle is finished. Should I just wait until my tank is fish ready? I dont want to add stress by going from cup to bowl to tank, I just want another lifeform in my lonely apartment lol.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
As long as the 1 gallon is heated I don't see a problem with that. If I am putting my fish in divided tanks I often use a quarantine tank for 1-2 weeks before moving them again. And because it can take over a month to cycle he will be in the 1 gallon for a while. So I would say go ahead.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
If you don't cycle you have to do far more frequent water changes, including 100% changes which are really not ideal for the fish so cyling is a good idea, imho.

As above, you can keep him in the 1g as long as it's heated but you will need to be doing frequent water changes (100% every 3 days with ideally another 50% at day 2) and it'll take up to a month to cycle. I would wait until you're ready to get a fish unless you happen to fall in love with one you just can't leave. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts