Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I started a 2.5 gallon tank with 1 betta and 1 nerite snail. The two got along very well after a few hours of antagonism when I first put the snail in the tank. Right around memorial day, the betta got sick and died, and within a week I bought a new betta, Hannibal.

The new betta bothered the snail a little more than the first one had, and the snail was definitely less active after the switch, but they lived together for a couple of weeks. However, I went away for a 3 day weekend and when I returned home, the snail shell was empty on the floor of the tank, and I could only assume that the Hannibal had eaten it...

The Hannibal's been living alone the past few months, but I just finally got a reliable light source for the tank, and now it's starting to bloom with algae, which I know a nerite snail would be the best "cure' for. Besides that, I really enjoyed watching my snail chug around, and would love to get another.

I was wondering if anyone would recommend some ways of trying to acclimate the betta and a new nerite to each other? Would you recommend getting one at all? When the previous betta started poking at the snail i'd tap on the glass until he stopped, and after a few rounds of that they did very well with each other. I'm not sure if that would work with the new one or if he's just a naturally more aggressive fish...

·
Registered
329 Posts
How big is your tank? Is there hiding places/plants? I think snails are great for algae problems (especially nerite snails), but maybe introducing the snail to the Betta by putting the snail in a separate bag/container in the tank so that he is safe at first for 30-60 minutes (to adjust). Try putting some kind of cave like thing for the snail to hide in. A simple mug/cup that is small even will work. After having the snail in the bag floating in the tank for a while, take out the bag and put the snail in the cave/mug hiding place. This will help the snail feel safer, and be able to come out when he/she feels comfortable. What would I do? I say try this, if it doesn't turn out I wouldn't recommend doing it again. You could always try something like Ghost shrimp (but might not be smart if your Betta ate a snail)... Good luck, but if algae isn't a problem right now I wouldn't bother getting a snail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big is your tank? Is there hiding places/plants? I think snails are great for algae problems (especially nerite snails), but maybe introducing the snail to the Betta by putting the snail in a separate bag/container in the tank so that he is safe at first for 30-60 minutes (to adjust). Try putting some kind of cave like thing for the snail to hide in. A simple mug/cup that is small even will work. After having the snail in the bag floating in the tank for a while, take out the bag and put the snail in the cave/mug hiding place. This will help the snail feel safer, and be able to come out when he/she feels comfortable. What would I do? I say try this, if it doesn't turn out I wouldn't recommend doing it again. You could always try something like Ghost shrimp (but might not be smart if your Betta ate a snail)... Good luck, but if algae isn't a problem right now I wouldn't bother getting a snail.
Thank you for your answer! The tank is 2.5 gallons, and the algae is starting to become a problem rather quickly. There's a bridge in the tank that serves as a sort of "cave" for Hannibal, but, of course, that's already HIS hiding place. I have a few plants, but probably not enough to provide cover.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 5 gallon as soon as i'm able to spend the 20-30 dollars on a new tank + more sand + more plants, so I'm guessing the answer is probably to wait until then and just keep manually cleaning the algae in the meantime.

Another question- What kind of plants provide good cover for snails? I have some anubias on a rock and some java fern on driftwood, and neither seem like they'd be very thick cover. Does java moss work, or a low foreground plant like clover? I don't have a high-tech tank, so I feel like my plant options might be limited. No Co2 injection, I just dose with flourish and flourish excel once every few days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts