Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I am going to Petco after work today to look for a betta! (I've heard the Petcos around here buy locally, which sounds good...) My question is about what I should do when I bring him home...

I have a 5g tank with gravel and live plants (wisteria, pennywort, watersprite, anubias) which has been up and running for a few months now. It has a heater and filter. I've been fighting algae a bit, so there's lots of fuzzies on the plants/driftwood, but other than that it's been quite stable. The water is clear, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates test at 0 (I guess because of all the plants). I do a 50% water change 1x/week.

My question is: is there anything special I have to do to acclimatize my fish before introducing him to the tank? What if the fuzzies are secretly EVIL BACTERIA waiting to kill my fish??

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Its best to acclimate to both the chemistry and temp of the new tank by adding small amounts of water to the holding container over 10-20min or to his tolerance...be sure and dump any of the pet shop water down the drain or in a house plant....you don't want to add any of that to you tank....
If the Betta seems really stressed- hold food and turn off the light for the first 24h....

Look forward to pics once you get him settled in....

·
Registered
393 Posts
totally agree with oldfishlady!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the well wishes! Attached is a picture of America the Beautiful in his new tank!

So far he is having a fun time swimming around and attempting to nom on things (algae, fuzzies, a tiny snail I hadn't realized was living in there...)! I will start feeding him tomorrow, I think.

He seems a little hyper right now... hope he settles down and goes to sleep =)

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
nice fish, just for future reference use the Drip Acclamation Method to introduce new fish. its easy and works great

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

@Hanky - Thanks for the suggestion re: drip acclimation method! I looked it up (found a couple of videos on YouTube) and I love it! I will definitely use it from now on. =)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad you liked it, it helps the little guys get used to your tank water a bit slower and gives them a much better chance of not getting "shocked" by your water.
He is a beauty of a fish hope hes doing well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts