Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all 馃憢
I'm keeping company with two male betta currently. It's been several years since I last cared for one. I did some homework and have created much more suitable homes for my guys this time. I have what was labeled as a Blue Mustard, (but I'm not sure about that) he's kind of lack luster even in a healthy home. The other was donated and he's a more mature Opal male. Both are in 5 gallon tanks w/o filter. 50% water changes weekly. I'm here to learn more so that I keep them happy and healthy.
Vertebrate Plant Organism Fish supply Wood

Vertebrate Underwater Organism Water Fin

Registered
Bettas, Aquatic and Land Snails, Mice, Hissing Roaches, Isopods, Slugs, Millipedes
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

"Blue mustard" is more of a tradename, and was taken from the guy who actually created the original mustard gas Bettas. Which, sadly, are currently no more.
Most of the Bettas labeled as mustards are just bi-coloured Bettas. Which is mostly likely what your boy is.

Your other kid sort of looks like a dumbo, but I can't tell very well.

Also, I would recommend filters for them, even with a weekly 50% change.

They're very beautiful boys though!! What are their names?

Reactions: betta4ever!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The opal is "Ghost" and yes, he has dumbo features. The other is "Julian". I added filters to each but had to baffle them quite a bit. Way too much flow in the beginning. It took the afternoon to tweak them.
thank you for the warm welcome! I'm excited to be here!!馃槉 馃悷馃悷鉂

Registered
Bettas, Aquatic and Land Snails, Mice, Hissing Roaches, Isopods, Slugs, Millipedes
The opal is "Ghost" and yes, he has dumbo features. The other is "Julian". I added filters to each but had to baffle them quite a bit. Way too much flow in the beginning. It took the afternoon to tweak them.
Those are great names!!

Understandable, sometimes they're a pain. If you're interested in retrying them, sponge filters are really good and you can control their flow.
You can also try (if you tried a hang on the back) having decorations or plants beneath your filter outtake to slow down flow, I've heard of a few people tying nylon or pantyhose over it too.

Just a few ideas! :)

We're excited to have you here!

Reactions: betta4ever!

Registered
I usually use small sponge filters with an air valve to slow then down. If you're finding it hard to baffle your filter enough you might want to give this a try. 馃檪

Welcome to the forum!

Registered
Welcome to the forum, @PhotoFINish!
I hope that you'll like it here!

I ABSOLUTLY love your boys!
And again, welcome!

Reactions: PhotoFINish
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.