Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a single betta in a 2.5 gallon tank, but it seems a little small for him. I have a 10 gallon tank currently cycling. I had to start over twice with that 10 gallon because everything I put in it seems to die. But I was wondering, would a 10 gallon be too big?

·
Registered
9 Posts
No not at all! I'm sure he would love the ten gallon, just make sure that the filter isn't too strong. I kept a single betta in my ten gallon before I divided it and they loved it. Some bettas prefer smaller tanks because they grew up in the tiny cups so they tail bite in larger areas, but it's not that common. Try it out with your little guy, there's a lot you can do with a ten gallon tank.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to make sure the 10 gallon is safe. I had 4 platys in it a few months ago, and when I put a new decoration in, they all died within 24 hours. Last Friday, I bought two (rather cute) platys. One died Tuesday, the other was dead Thursday morning.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My male betta hated his 10g! It was an upgrade from a 5g.
I kept him in the 10g for a couple of weeks, he became really withdrawn and just hid at the back of the tank (the tank was cycled)
I moved him back to his original tank and he was himself again!
I have a new female in the 10g now, she's taking a bit of time adjusting but she seems to like it. It really depends on the bettas personality, some seem to love the extra space, some seem intimidated by it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd probably try to figure out why the platys died before you put the betta in. It might have been because the tank isn't fully cycled yet? From what I understand, platys aren't super hardy fish, but if it's not the cycle, I would be cautious about putting a betta into a tank where fish have been mysteriously dying. I keep a betta in a 2.5 gallon with a little cave and he does just fine. =) So there's no real rush to move to the 10 gal if you think it might not be safe

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ah then I'm sure he'll love it! My female in the 10g is always exploring! My males a bit moody and pretty aggressive, don't think he likes change! Lol
I agree with bre23, would be best to find out why fish have been dying in the tank. Did they seem healthy when you got them?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Then I guess you're good to go! If you've done a big clean, cycled the tank and had the water tested you've pretty much done all you can.
I hope he likes he's new tank! Let me know how he gets on!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine was the only fish in a 20 gallon for a couple of weeks and he loved it. He could zoom through the lily plant's stalks and he just had a grand old time. Now he shares with the snails originally, a divided section for an ADF and a bunch of endlers. He still has over 10 gallons of room and he is just so active.

Good luck with the move [= Try to line up "obstacle courses" so he has things to move to, from, and between. The emptiness of a big tank is probably one of the leading causes of tail biting from upgrades.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The tank is still cycling. Not going to put him in there now. :p
And that's wise, but you can add stuff like betta tubes and terra cotta pots while the tank is cycling. They can house some of the BB and then you have decorations and things to de-boredom your betta when he is ready to move in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've seen that on the dangerous ornaments list. All of my decorations are random stuff...betta tubes made of hot glue and plastic mesh, PVC pipe connections, tiny terracotta pots all less than $1 each

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your betta will be VERY happy. I just rescued a blue veiltail betta from an atrocious bowl less than the size of a cup and put him in my 10 gallon. He's alone in it and he swims everywhere happily. However, like some said it depends on the personality.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then the sinking betta log? I tend to order supplies on amazon, if you can recommend things from there I would be very happy. :) Actually, I was very tempted to get a 1/2 gallon tank (made for 2 bettas... how cruel!), but I saw the 2.5 gallon on sale for a dollar less.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Terracotta pots online
http://www.amazon.com/10-Clay-Great-Plants-Crafts/dp/B00DREB8MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398638969&sr=8-1&keywords=terracotta+pot
http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Cotta-P...qid=1398638969&sr=8-2&keywords=terracotta+pot

PVC Pipe connectors
http://www.amazon.com/Genova-Products-31405CP-2-Inch-Pipe/dp/B000BQUUN0/ref=sr_1_11?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1398639070&sr=1-11&keywords=pvc+connectors

You can get them in bulk online, but it's cheaper if you've got a craft store to find terracotta pots and a home depot for PVC pipes

The dangerous ornaments thread is long, but I think the betta logs get mixed reviews, but have both shown up there I think. Terracotta pots remain a favorite for most people plus people on a budget [= just make sure you block the hole to prevent injury

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.