Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a betta in a 10 gallon filtered and heated tank. Unfortunately, when I first bought him I was led to believe a 1 gallon tank would do… soon after realizing this wouldn't suffice I purchased a 3 gallon tetra cube aquarium "Kit". Unfortunately the lid doesn't even go on and the tetra whisper 3i filter failed within three days. All I have left is an empty 3 gallon cube. Its a beautiful tank too.

When I move I plan to divide my 10 gallon into two headquarters for two separate betta fish, and purchasing another pair of betta fish in a divided tank. I'm waiting until after I move being moving is stressful for fish and moving aquariums is hectic enough with just one. But… now I have a leftover tank and I really don't want it to go to waste. I know this isn't an ideal living headquarters but it would be really great to get the use out of it that I hoped for. I was wondering if there are any small filters I can get for this small aquarium, and reliable heaters I can get for a tank this size? I try to get good equipment and the tetra whisper 3i failed me once and I wouldn't try them again.

I was hoping someone had some insight into what I should do in this situation. I was considering my second option being turning it into an emergency hospital tank for my future bettas and the 55gallon I plan to get filled with other freshwater species. Please help!!! I want to supply this with good equipment.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Some would say the very minimum for housing is 1 gal, others, 2gal and even 5.

I suggest looking at this thread if you want to pursue having smaller tanks:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=117828

However if you do have the room for larger tanks, why not? More aquascaping and tankmate options.

Definitely keep the old tanks. You never know when you'll get a leak or sick fish.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Certainly the 3 gallon will be fine! What do you mean the lid won't go on? It just sets on the tank, I have the same one :) I use this filter: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3608+9821&pcatid=9821 it is a beautiful filter! I fell in love with it when I opened the package lol I have two of them, both currently on my 5.5's but I originally had one on my Tetra Cube 3! And it's adjustable flow! Perfect for Betta fish or other fish with long tails! I advise not to use the sponge that is supposed to cover the intake tube, it's supposed to make it so little fish don't get sucked up (although that would be pretty hard to do since the flow isn't THAT strong) but my male HM in my avatar ripped his fins on it, actually you can see the rip in that picture. It's just my experience with it and honestly it's not really needed, it's great that they include it! but just not necessary :)

Also for heaters, I use this heater for most of all my tanks: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368 the 25 W one for 10 and under gallons. I even use it in my 1's when needed. It will over compensate so if you set it for 80 degree's, it might heat around 85-87 degree's in 3 gallons and smaller so all you do is just set it lower. Always have a thermometer, I suggest getting a glass one for wal-mart, it's like a dollar something, very affordable and reliable!

I also did replace the lighting on the tank since I had a naturally planted tank and needed higher lighting so I just used a small clamp light and a CFL light around 9 watts for his tank. This is what it looked like after a few months of growing and moving things around :-D
*note I'm not using the same heater in these pictures that I showed you earlier and yeah...I got a lot of algae but that doesn't normally happen if you don't have a whole planted tank, or at least not to this degree!)*
Former home to Rembrandt and his Mystery Snail girl!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yes, you can cycle any sized tank, even a .5 gallon if you really wanted to (although that would be silly and unnecessary) it's just that smaller tanks will be a little less stable than larger tanks. I've never had issues with the 3 gallon and its cycle, even the 2.5 is fine and holds well.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I have two 2.6 gallons and a 3 gallon and my boys are just fine. ^^ though I do have it a NPT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Certainly the 3 gallon will be fine! What do you mean the lid won't go on? It just sets on the tank, I have the same one :) I use this filter: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3608+9821&pcatid=9821 it is a beautiful filter! I fell in love with it when I opened the package lol I have two of them, both currently on my 5.5's but I originally had one on my Tetra Cube 3! And it's adjustable flow! Perfect for Betta fish or other fish with long tails! I advise not to use the sponge that is supposed to cover the intake tube, it's supposed to make it so little fish don't get sucked up (although that would be pretty hard to do since the flow isn't THAT strong) but my male HM in my avatar ripped his fins on it, actually you can see the rip in that picture. It's just my experience with it and honestly it's not really needed, it's great that they include it! but just not necessary :)

Also for heaters, I use this heater for most of all my tanks: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+11368&pcatid=11368 the 25 W one for 10 and under gallons. I even use it in my 1's when needed. It will over compensate so if you set it for 80 degree's, it might heat around 85-87 degree's in 3 gallons and smaller so all you do is just set it lower. Always have a thermometer, I suggest getting a glass one for wal-mart, it's like a dollar something, very affordable and reliable!

I also did replace the lighting on the tank since I had a naturally planted tank and needed higher lighting so I just used a small clamp light and a CFL light around 9 watts for his tank. This is what it looked like after a few months of growing and moving things around :-D
*note I'm not using the same heater in these pictures that I showed you earlier and yeah...I got a lot of algae but that doesn't normally happen if you don't have a whole planted tank, or at least not to this degree!)*

Wow, cool tanks! I currently have my one boy (Finn) in a 10 gallon, he actually made the move today after it was all set and running for a while. He seems to love it and I've never seen him any happier, I plan to split that tank in two after I move an add another betta. Get another 10 gallon and do the same thing for 4 total bettas (I'm addicted, guys… it's bad). I think I'll keep that one as a hospital emergency tank, I also have two 1 gallon bowls but I am hesitant to use one of them because I had a sick fishy that passed away in there :(, and I don't know if the disease would be able to spread to whatever inhabits that as a hospital tank, do you think it's safe? But with the 3 gallon, I ordered mine off of amazon and the lid was too small… it would fall in the tank, and me and my bf couldn't figure it out for days, I ended up reading reviews and many people had the same issue. I ended up tossing the lid… bad call. But I still would like a heater and filter for that just in case, so thank you for sharing yours!!! I appreciate it.

I currently have a aqueon whisper flow 10 in my 10 gal tank, but i noticed my fin getting tossed around by the water flow so I went into emergency and cut up some fishnets to disrupt the flow, it fixed the issue to an extent, but still not perfect… :/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

[URL="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9853"]
[/URL]

Oh, I use the same heater in my 10 gal (50watt), and I also have an eheim heater (25watt) in there because the hydor wouldn't heat to a full 78-79 degrees. and about the thermometer, I currently don't have one inside the tank, but I have this one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9853 and its very spot on reliable, but I would definitely like to get some reliable inside tank thermometers, I bought some on amazon http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Standing-Thermometer-Accessory/dp/B003U84S3O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393024020&sr=8-2&keywords=tank+thermometer and it was crap. It was telling me the temperature was 68 degrees constantly… even after I had the heater on for two days.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Wow, cool tanks! I currently have my one boy (Finn) in a 10 gallon, he actually made the move today after it was all set and running for a while. He seems to love it and I've never seen him any happier, I plan to split that tank in two after I move an add another betta. Get another 10 gallon and do the same thing for 4 total bettas (I'm addicted, guys… it's bad). I think I'll keep that one as a hospital emergency tank, I also have two 1 gallon bowls but I am hesitant to use one of them because I had a sick fishy that passed away in there :(, and I don't know if the disease would be able to spread to whatever inhabits that as a hospital tank, do you think it's safe? But with the 3 gallon, I ordered mine off of amazon and the lid was too small… it would fall in the tank, and me and my bf couldn't figure it out for days, I ended up reading reviews and many people had the same issue. I ended up tossing the lid… bad call. But I still would like a heater and filter for that just in case, so thank you for sharing yours!!! I appreciate it.

I currently have a aqueon whisper flow 10 in my 10 gal tank, but i noticed my fin getting tossed around by the water flow so I went into emergency and cut up some fishnets to disrupt the flow, it fixed the issue to an extent, but still not perfect… :/
That's interesting that the lid didn't fit! I mean, mine is okay, it will fall if I don't set it right but for the most part it just sits there.

As for hospital tank, I recommend sterilizing any tank you use as a hospital tank after each sick fishy has been in there unless it's something not severe like Ich or something but for the most part it can't hurt to sterilize it still. I use a bleach solution first; 1:19 Bleach:water ratio to kill off some of the bacteria first, soak in the tank for an hour or so. Then you rinse out with hot tap multiple times, let air dry if you wish. Then I use 91% rubbing alcohol from wal-mart, spray it on with a spray bottle and let it sit for twenty minutes minimum, rinse until you no longer smell the alcohol. Most importantly; do not mix the two! Again, let air dry.
Oh, I use the same heater in my 10 gal (50watt), and I also have an eheim heater (25watt) in there because the hydor wouldn't heat to a full 78-79 degrees. and about the thermometer, I currently don't have one inside the tank, but I have this one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9853 and its very spot on reliable, but I would definitely like to get some reliable inside tank thermometers, I bought some on amazon http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Standing-Thermometer-Accessory/dp/B003U84S3O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393024020&sr=8-2&keywords=tank+thermometer and it was crap. It was telling me the temperature was 68 degrees constantly… even after I had the heater on for two days.
That first thermometer is great, but yeah I could see where it could get annoying to have to take that out and get the temp reading almost manually where a regular thermometer you just look over and read it immediately. That's weird that the other thermometer wasn't working! I mean, they can be defective for sure, I've always used the ones from wal-mart and haven't gotten a defective one yet so let's hope none of them are lol Good luck with the thermometers though!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a thermometer you recommend from Dr Foster & Smith? Also, about that filter, is it pretty small? I would consider it but would need two of them for my tank, and if I split my 10 gal for 2 bettas I would need one for each half of tank.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I've only ever used thermometers from wal-mart since they are only a dollar forty or something like that, cheap is for me ^_^ lol but any thermometer in the tank should be fine, I believe you had a very rare dud with your last one is all.

As for that filter, yes it is pretty small. I would really only use it up to 5.5 or 6 gallon tanks for best use. If you want something for your ten I would recommend a Fluval Hagen AquaClear 10 or even 20 if you wanted double the filtration and space for your good bacteria to hang out in. This one is also adjustable to a degree and you can baffle it if you like. For my split ten I would use the water bottle baffle so the flow would move out the sides and circulate through the divider, thus also pushing the heat around as well. You don't necessarily need two filters for the tank, I mean, if you wanted you could put two of those small Azoo filters on each side if you didn't have a hood but just not necessary is all :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.