Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 10 gallon tank, and I was wanting to house another betta in it. Would a divider be ok, or would it stress the betta's out because they can still see each other? I feel like 10 gallons is a little to big for my old betta (3 years old) but the only tank I have is a 13" x 7.5" x 8.5" Critter Keeper (it's plastic with no heater). What do you all think about dividers? Or should I just house my betta in the Critter Keeper? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
You can certainly divide the tank. There is a link somewhere on here to DIY tank dividers (you can also search youtube and a billion tutorials come up).

I would put plants up against the divider to help cut the visibility.

be aware that your current may get stressed due to his territory being cut in half. Bettas are super territorial so when you set up a tank, they claim the whole tank as their's.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have 2 split ten gallons, they are so handy. I just created 2 dividers using plastic craft mesh material from WalMart, zip ties, and plastic rulers for the edges. I made a little pocket in the middle for the heater and filter, there are several reasons why I did It this way. #1 is so they cannot see eacother at all, this way they are never are stressed and you won't have to worry about putting a bunch if plants by the dividers to block the view. #2 even heating and filter flow, this way one side of the tank doesn't have no flow, while the other is too strong of a flow, also, your betta can't get stuck into the filter intake and drown. #3 to prevent fights, incase one wiggles through or jumps over, you won't return to two either dead, or badly hurt bettas.
it also is better then having to clean two small tanks, because it takes less time and heavy lifting IMO.
goodluck!:)

also, I would cup your new betta and switch up his whole house when you divide it, so its " a new tank" that would probably help him not stress out all the way from his house suddenly being cut in half, and an intruder inserted on the other side,
and DONT froget to QT your new betta for 2 weeks before you put him in the ten gal, you can get a 1 gal size container and place that in the ten gal so the water stays warm, but they don't share germs untill you make sure the new one is heathy, especialy since the current betta is 3y. Change a 1 gal container 100% a day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 2 split ten gallons, they are so handy. I just created 2 dividers using plastic craft mesh material from WalMart, zip ties, and plastic rulers for the edges. I made a little pocket in the middle for the heater and filter, there are several reasons why I did It this way. #1 is so they cannot see eacother at all, this way they are never are stressed and you won't have to worry about putting a bunch if plants by the dividers to block the view. #2 even heating and filter flow, this way one side of the tank doesn't have no flow, while the other is too strong of a flow, also, your betta can't get stuck into the filter intake and drown. #3 to prevent fights, incase one wiggles through or jumps over, you won't return to two either dead, or badly hurt bettas.
it also is better then having to clean two small tanks, because it takes less time and heavy lifting IMO.
goodluck!:)

also, I would cup your new betta and switch up his whole house when you divide it, so its " a new tank" that would probably help him not stress out all the way from his house suddenly being cut in half, and an intruder inserted on the other side,
and DONT froget to QT your new betta for 2 weeks before you put him in the ten gal, you can get a 1 gal size container and place that in the ten gal so the water stays warm, but they don't share germs untill you make sure the new one is heathy, especialy since the current betta is 3y. Change a 1 gal container 100% a day.

awesome idea! do you have a picture of your set up? I want to understand what you mean by you made a pocket in the mesh?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
yeah my 4 boys dont even acknowledge eachothers existance lol.
and of course you could make yours look alot neater, i just needed it to work, so i wasnt supper worried about how they look (im the only one who looks at them anyways lol).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts