Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My support team has applied for me to go into a semi-independent apartment. Hopefully I can move there by June or the first week of June.
I currently have a twenty high, but there are already two goldfish in it. I was thinking of saving up some funds so maybe in August to get a 40 breeder for my goldfish. That will leave my twenty high free. Is it a good size for bettas? or should I try to get a new tank for bettas and leave the 20 high for maybe guppies? I want a betta again but first I need to move. I need to make sure I can have more than one tank.

·
Registered
SIP Flash, you beautiful boy!!!
1,295 Posts
Hi,

This is just my opinion, but I think that a 20 high is good for a short finned betta. Bettas with long fins have a lot to carry around, so that would cause a bit of a struggle to get to the surface for air in a 20 high, unless you lower the water level. But since short finned bettas swim a lot more, a nice plakat would probably just love a 20 gallon high!

Hope this helps!!!

·
Super Moderator
24,109 Posts
A 20 high (24.25" x 12.50" x 16.75" H) should be fine.

Betta are not air but facultative breathers which means while they do breathe through their labyrinth organ it is secondary to their gills. As long as a tank has a filter or air stones to oxygenate the water a Betta can live in a taller tank so I say....."Go For It!" :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts