Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got two oto catfish and I fed them a piece of cucumber on Saturday night. I clipped it to a suction cup near the bottom of the tank and they nibbled on it a little. I read that the cucumber should be removed after two days. Today is Monday; this morning the cucumber was still mostly in-tact, so I thought I would wait and remove it tonight.

But I went to remove the cucumber and it was totally gone — about an inch of the skin was floating in the bottom of the tank, but that's it. Could those two little otos have devoured it? I'm guessing it just dissolved but I don't see any pieces of it anywhere. There is a mystery snail in the tank that could have eaten it too, but I'm worried that my betta may have eaten it. He hasn't shown any interest in the cucumber whatsoever, but if he did eat it … would it be bad for him? Should I keep feeding him on his regular schedule?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't know if the cucumber could be bad for him, but check his belly. Is he bloated? If not he couldn't have eaten so much that you should stop feeding him. How big was the cucumber? Most likely if he ate the whole thing you would be able to tell because his belly would be very bloated.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Actually, I think you need to remove the cucumber after 24 hours. I recently started feeding my Otos cucumber slices as well. My bettas have been curious about them, but I haven't seen them eat any despite having had many chances to do so. After 24 hours, the cucumber is always really mushy and starting to become clear, so I think 24 hours is about the limit for them.

Bettas are carnivores, so plants aren't the greatest for them. But I kind of doubt your betta at the whole rest of the slice. In a tank of six females, two otos, and a snail, the slices I put in are only ever nibbled. Probably your cucumber just dissolved or else it got so soft it was sucked into the filter or the gunk is hiding somewhere in the tank. If your betta is acting fine, then you're all good. Even if he did eat it, there's nothing you could do about it at this point. Just be sure to take the cucumber out earlier next time. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts