Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some crown tails where the tail is perky and others have these wavy droopy tails, is that caused by hard water? Is hard water horribly unhealthy?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
The different tail types is not caused by hard water. Hard water supposedly can cause crowntails to curl their fins, however there's no real hard evidence on that.

Most likely what you are seeing are different types of Crowntails, depending on their genetics. Some people breed CT's with VT's and it makes the CT's tail less spread out and makes them more droopy. Ideally CT's should have a 180 spread like HM's so real CT's are the ones with more of a spread, not that CT's that don't have the 180 spread aren't CT's, they just aren't the ideal specimens is all.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was asking about the droopy/curled fins. We have really hard water but I don't want my crown tail to look like he got a perm

Looks like I'm back to buying bottled water for mr.betta

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
As I said, it may not curl their fins. There is no real evidence supporting that hard water curls fins although it does seem to happen more often in hard water but it could be something else in the water like harder and heavier metals, or calcium, or just more minerals in general. But it's all up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I never had issues with CT's in my hard water but my pH was relatively low and we had very little metals in the water.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had no idea there was no actual proof of fins curling because of hard water! That being said, my bettas do have some curling and my water is hard. Could it perhaps be something related to what makes the water hard? My pH is higher so maybe that's connected as well?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, I do think it's something in the harder water that maybe not all hard water has? I'm no expert on water chemistry though.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our ph is 7.5-8

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yep, xStatic is right! My pH was 6.2-6.4 and I had hard water because we had a very shallow well. At my mom's we have 6.9-7.0 and it's extremely soft water :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did the test kit and for the hard water test it was really really dark, the ph came to about 7.5-8, no nitrites and very very low nitrates

1 - 11 of 11 Posts